Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore clutch

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
how does every1 find there clutch on their ve commodores?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Normally if you look on the floor it's the pedal on the left...

Seriously, I have an auto, but took a manual SIDI for a drive and found the clutch really good. Not too heavy, not too light, and after 3 or 4 changes I got used to the point it started gripping & was doing smooth changes after that

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
well weighted easy to operat smooth but needs more clamping force can slip if pushed and that a 6

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
yea i found mine odd at first, but is fine now and being brand new had to be worn in

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Perfectly OK.

I have had four Commodores and three of another large Oz car, all manuals.

I am perfectly happy with the VE SV6 clutch. Have put 37K on the clock so far, with no complaints.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
if your into any sort of performance the stock clutch will need to go, she slips easy, its good for what it is thou

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
driving my mates manual, I reckon its fine. It does slip if you give it too much, but that's just to protect the rest of the drivetrain better. For daily driving it's fine. For sports use, upgrade it (as already pointed out). But that's with most cars anyway. Most stock clutches are 'only as grippy as they need to be'.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
driving my mates manual, I reckon its fine. It does slip if you give it too much, but that's just to protect the rest of the drivetrain better. For daily driving it's fine. For sports use, upgrade it (as already pointed out). But that's with most cars anyway. Most stock clutches are 'only as grippy as they need to be'.

thats the key the clutch will always be the weekest point in the drive train to prevent expensive failures

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
They're crap ... stick to the floor if you give them a hard time.

Bad design of the pedal and the slave cylinder is too small compared to VX.

Problem is compounded by the traction control with high output cars like mine.

There are lots of threads on the topic on other forums ... I have posted a fix in here that gives a step-by-step instruction to do a mod which removes the helper spring and adds a return spring to stop the pedal from sticking. see here: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fix-sticking-ve-ss-clutch.118418

Holden are apparently working on a "fix" but this has beein going on for years.

There was talk of replace the clutch with an LS7 clutch (E2's and W427 have them as standard) However while the extra force of the stronger pressure plate overcomes the issue ... it doesn't actually fix the fault.

You only have to remove thecap off the master cylinder and look at the build up of black gunk around the edge to know that there is not enough fluid in the system and it's overheating.

I did my fix in Sept ... and it is still going fine ... keep in mind that if you drill a hole in the pedal arm then try and do a warranty claim when they come up with the fix, they may knock you back. I suspect the lumpy cam and 310rwkw's will be a bigger warranty issue for me than a 1/8" hole in the pedal!!!