Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Globe Replacement Auto Transmission Selector

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
These are actually LEDS, one each for the +/- and for the PRND position. Holden will offer one each of red or white but this is an error. You take both white unless you have a particular red themed dash I guess.
These cost around $18 for the pair and are a push in fit.
The challenge is getting to them.
Just ahead of the electric window buttons you can lift the plastic cover surrounding the auto shift knob. It will unclip with a little pressure or use a small screwdriver to lever it up and it will pop out. Disconnect the electric window wiring loom and the loom at the front and put this cover aside.
Now prise the base of the auto shifter apart from its top cover by locating the four white plastic tabs and pushing in with a screw driver at the same time puling the base and top apart. Now lift the cover up the auto selector stalk. You might have to stick the PRND sign and the +/- sign back on with a bit of Supa Glue,
This should expose the two leds one left and one right. These are a quarter turn so turn each and withdraw with wiring attached. Use some pointy nosed pliers if it's easier. Now simply pull the leds out of each socket. Note they are an oblong shape so they go back in the same way. Replace with new leds.
Turn on ignition or close and open drivers door and these will illuminate. Reinstall everything.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If both LED's aren't working, its a good chance the circuit board that 'drives' the LED's has failed.

It's attached to structure underneath the auto selector on the LHS.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
If both LED's aren't working, its a good chance the circuit board that 'drives' the LED's has failed.

It's attached to structure underneath the auto selector on the LHS.

Agreed!

However this wasn't the case with mine. Both LEDS had failed but not sure if separately or together. Frankly they come on every time the door is opened daylight or dark then come on with dash lights. Far too often in my opinion. They were not noticable unless driving at night and they are far too dim anyway.......

Hard to imagine why a circuit board would fail. Like the ECM, they are designed for the life of the vehicle and should never need replacing.

Saito

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM Caprice
I was just wondering if anyone happens to know if there are any videos on yow to replace the LED's in the Auto Shifter for a VE Commodore, personaly i prefer to follow vidoes on how to do repairs over just some instructions, also anyone know what type of LED's to get to replace a blown LED Bulb?