Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore jerking / surging if driving it when cold

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
Hi everyone, I apologise in advance if there is a thread about this, but I could not find any ..

I have a 2006 VE (V series) Omega - stock standard and when I took off on a cold morning the car seem to surge (speed up drastically & then slow down as if its loosing power)).

Do anyone know what this could be... ?

Although not related I think .. but shortly after I washed the car the the "Loosing power / Check engine" warning appeared. This has gone away since, but I am just wondering if it could be related.

Looking forward to your replies -> Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
When you washed the car did u wash the engine ?
One of the basic things to check on for the cold start issue would be take the intake pipe off and check the throttle butterfly, IAC etc. If any of that stuff is blocked with crap it could give you probs.
Could also be something to do with one of the temp sensors on air intake, engine, etc. If you go into Engineering mode you can check the read out of some of those sensors. If you check it at say 7am on a cold morning and something says 25degrees then you know the sensor has issues.
Does your engine do it's fast idle first thing when you start it cold ?

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply ..

I did not wash the engine and Yes - it does do the fast idle thing in the morning. I have ordered a scan tool from eBay last night ($40 & bluetooh job). Do you reckon it will show any error codes.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Error code reader will be interesting, but check the simple stuff first

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Error code reader will be interesting, but check the simple stuff first

Excuse the ignorance here, please... how do I get the car into engineering mode? Do i need a tool / gadget of some sort?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Is it on LPG? My car does the same thing if I try to drive it when it's cold, but it's fine once it warms up, apparently it's normal for dual fuel.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Excuse the ignorance here, please... how do I get the car into engineering mode? Do i need a tool / gadget of some sort?

To enter engineering mode, hold down the RH scroll wheel as you turn the ignition on.

Is it on LPG? My car does the same thing if I try to drive it when it's cold, but it's fine once it warms up, apparently it's normal for dual fuel.

Wow...yet another reason not to buy LPG.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

Don't let that put you off getting a conversion, if you warm you car up every morning like I do, it doesn't happen.

Plus at 57 cents a litre, I can't understand why you wouldn't get your VE converted if it's a daily driven like mine.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)

Don't listen to this guy.
I've driven over 40,000 km since my LPG conversion and its almost perfect.
It only stutters a small amount if you floor it when cold. But if you floor it when cold, you shouldn't be allowed to drive to begin with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Don't listen to this guy.
I've driven over 40,000 km since my LPG conversion and its almost perfect.
It only stutters a small amount if you floor it when cold. But if you floor it when cold, you shouldn't be allowed to drive to begin with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
So if you know it only stutters when you floor it when cold, are you not then guilty of doing what you yourself said not to do?