Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodores - Flat batteries?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
This is a common and old fault with VE's which for some reason has made it into the media today:

Commodore battery problem | Review | carsguide.com.au

Mine has never had any problems but I seem to recall that Holden had a fix (Techline) for it.

The funny thing is none of the cars pictured in that article had that problem. I wonder how long it lasts (I sent them the same comment :)

Reaper

Holdens-00001_wide6.jpg

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The funny thing is none of the cars pictured in that article had that problem. I wonder how long it lasts (I sent them the same comment :)

Reaper

Holdens-00001_wide6.jpg

I sent them a comment earlier today too but can't see it yet. CG is a bit retarded lately with the quality of their articles...

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
My Calais has always had the battery problem and Holden never resolved it. Bluetooth, climate control and cd player also have odd issues which all seem to happen at engine start time. It's a misery to own a car that no one can fix, and now the warranty is out which is exactly how the local dealer likes it because it's no longer their problem.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My Calais has always had the battery problem and Holden never resolved it. Bluetooth, climate control and cd player also have odd issues which all seem to happen at engine start time. It's a misery to own a car that no one can fix, and now the warranty is out which is exactly how the local dealer likes it because it's no longer their problem.

Not so. If it has been an ongoing problem that was logged within the warrany period (but not fixed) then Holden can not just walk away from the problem.

Reaper

vt_king

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 '07 & VT Acclaim '98
I got a VE SV6 (2007) about 6 months ago and just the other day for the first time it was completly flat. One day it was working then over night it was dead, after the RAVC came out to charge it up for me he told me he had seen this many time in the VE range and it was an electrical fault in VEs not shutting something down properly and draining the battery in a matter hours.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
2006 VE Calais... no problems with the battery running flat.

The only time it has run flat is when I left my mini-bar plugged in the boot and forgot to turn it off. I installed a socket in the boot next to the battery and now I forget to turn the bloody thing off. Didn't want the grog getting warm! lol

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
No problems with mine, MY09 60th Anv:thumbsup:

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
3 years old and just the other day my kids were in the car listening to the CD player, was up loud for approx 40 mins.........stopped working and the car was dead, couldn't even pop the boot!
Called roadside assist, immediate start with charge pack and been ok since, but I'm not playing the CD anymore if the car's not running :cry:

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
3 years old and just the other day my kids were in the car listening to the CD player, was up loud for approx 40 mins.........stopped working and the car was dead, couldn't even pop the boot!
Called roadside assist, immediate start with charge pack and been ok since, but I'm not playing the CD anymore if the car's not running :cry:

on mine if the radio is on for 40 minutes the radio turns off until i turn the key on to accessories again. i have had no problems in the ute.jan08 bulid

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
Sounds about right - Im sure the user manual notes that after 42 mins the computer will turn off all power draining devices. No problems with mine....but then Im not using it as an iPod to keep the kids entertained.....in fact the kids are not allowed anywhere near it!! :)