Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve front end knock??

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
I had a sv6 ser2 sedan pull up next to me at the lights today, the moment he came to a stop ( left hand slightly down- turned to the left only just) I heard a double knock which sounded like it came from the wheel hub area, brake dust cover loose perhaps?I've heard of this happening before. maybe your drama as well? but the biggest culprits on VE"s are normally the strut top bushes shagged or the link bushes on the front s- bar. The factory s- top bushes are absolute rubbish. In my first ve ute they were rooted within 8000km. Replaced with fulcrum super pro"s prob fixed. 2nd ute it was the first mod I did. easy to tell if they are stuffed. Pop bonnet have a look at the rubber donut around the top bolt in the engine bay, if they are flexed upwards all the way round with the wheel straight then they are buggered. They should be flat and even.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Could be strut mounts or check your swaybar D bushes regardless of how they look if the slit in the bush is facing downwards towards the subframe I recommend replacing them as there is a revised design bush it's really cheap and easy to replace

D bushes didn't have any play under load, I'm going towards more the strut tops but lowering my car soon anyways, I'm gonna get new shorter struts, new strut top beatings, nolathane d bushes and my links are fine,

Ignited-SV6

Sleek and Class
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I have a similar issue with my VY

I find that when I go up a steep driveway the knock or thud comes from my left strut.

Going to the mechanic on Friday anyways, so i'll tell him about it then.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
I think it is the strut top bush, but will I need new bearings? Or can I use the old ones?

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
mate ive spent over $1500 on my front LH side to no avail.. hub bearings, strut bush n bearing, disc brake and calliper but still it knocks and grinds when turning on a slope.. so if either one of us find out before each other.. lol.. holden "cant hear a thing"..

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mine was doing this. Replaced the struts regardless for lowered ones and it's gone.
Have you had springs put in?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
i havent lowered it yet, but i will soon, also my knock was coming from the left hand sway bar link, i replaced D bushes coz i could get them for $4 each and they are a modified part, so i replaced the links and bushes and mines now gone, i will be lowering it with SL which is part # SSSL front and SSL rear with my stock shocks for the mean time. Also when i checked them for play, unless the load is taken off you wont be able to notice the knock, jack up the front of the car on the cross member and then yank on the sway bar links and sway bar, :)

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Good work, should look phat with the sssl's, what size wheels u going? I was looking thru my receipts and I'd also done my D bushes, might have to re check the sway bar links tomorrow..

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Wheels will either be 19ssv or 20 advanti tourer

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
sweet, make sure u throw up some pics