Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HID High Beam Headlights not working.

Ryan_Chapman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Ute
Gday Guys,

On my 2009 SSV Ute I have High and Low Beam Britax HID's and i have recently fitted HID Parkers from the Dreaded EBAY. and now when turn on high beam they flick for a second then turn off. I think this may be from fitting the Parkers but not 100% sure. Also not sure if this is related aswell but a couple of times the secondary horn (i think they have 2?) sounds very quietly while driving or idling for about 3-4 seconds. When i sound the horn only the secondary horn works. It might be that the main horn has shat itself but just seems a bit of a coincidence happening at the same time.
Has anyone had this happen before or know how it may be resolved.
I have found people more helpful on here than the local Holden dealer.

V SPEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Yeah, I've hade the same thing happen with my hids, the whole flickering and quiet horn thing. I just kept fiddling with them, ensuring the cable connectors were secure, switched the head light they were in. I don't know what I did specifically to make it work, but now they're fine

Ryan_Chapman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Ute
Okay cheers for the reply . Might have to play around with the wiring. Did it happen just after you put the led Parker's in? We're your hids britax or a different brand? Sounds quite bizarre how it does it though . Think it might be when I put the new Parker's in I might of bumped an earth or something rediculous .
Thanks V-Spec

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Might be timely and pay to have a read of this, simply to refresh everyones memory on just what is legal regarding headlights:

Motor vehicles have been required to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR's) for lighting since October 1991. ADR 13 mandates the number and position of lamp assemblies, ADR 46 prescribes the photometric requirements of the lamp itself and ADR 51 is the standard for filament bulbs.

ADR 51 accepts ECE regulation 37 as an alternative standard for filament bulbs and prescribes the dimensional and photometric requirements for filament bulbs (including headlamps). This ensures inter-changeability and correct functioning when installed in a complying lamp unit.

All complying bulbs sold in Australia would be marked with the "E" mark and possibly the words "Suitable for European Use". The packaging may also indicate compliance with ADR 51 or ECE 37.

When a replacement complying bulb of the correct type (for example H4 45/60 Watts) for a complying headlamp is fitted to that assembly, the light emitted will be within the spectral requirements for white light. This will not be in breach of Section 63 to Schedule 1 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Safety and Standards) Regulation 1999.
Although these lamps are a standard fitment to many newer vehicles, a "blue" complying lamp can be fitted to a lamp assembly on a vehicle that was not originally fitted with these bulbs.

It is important to note that ADR 51 limits the power of various bulb types, and bulbs of a similar style but higher power rating will not comply and should not be used. For example, the common H4 bulb that has a complying rating of 45/60 watts, is available in much higher rating of 45/100 watts. The higher powered bulbs produce more glare and the resulting light pattern would not comply with the ADR.

Although regulations do not require drivers of pre-1991 vehicles to fit complying bulbs, consumers should be careful when fitting non-complying "blue" light bulbs to pre-ADR vehicles, as the resulting light spectrum may fall outside the standard for white light (that is, the blue frequencies may predominate).

If a Licenced Examiner suspects that the light output from a headlight appears blue, the examiner should take appropriate action based on the following summary tables:

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 October 1991
• Bulb must be marked.
• Bulb must be the correct wattage.

For vehicles manufactured prior to 1 October 1991
• Bulb does not have to be marked.
• Bulb may be alternative higher wattage.
• Bulb must not show obvious blue light (when viewed directly ahead).

Licenced Examiners Action:
If, during the course of an inspection, Licenced Examiners have cause to inspect vehicles modified by changing the original lighting componentry assemblies, they are to ensure that individual vehicles comply with the previously mentioned details. Modifications of this type
which do not comply with the above requirements are to be rejected immediately.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Yes party pooper we know the law but its our choice I have hids in my vy projector lights mainly because I don't want useless wildlife jumping in front of my car I'd rather blind them

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
The horn sound is from your HID ballasts one of mine started to make this sound and then died. However mine were cheap ebay jobs. I don't think it will be due to the new parkers.

VTKID2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SV6 Ute
Sounds like the ballast might be giving up, either that or when you put your new Parker's in you could have bumped the wiring or slightly disconnected a plug or something, if your hid's have bare copper showing the electricity will jump and arc between each other causing it to turn off instantly and possibly the ballast will make weird noises.?? Make sure all your connections are insulated properly you have a good earth and power, if there all good I'd say the ballast is broken. Hope this helps.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Dont know if this will help but i recently changed my low beam globes not to Hid's in mu clubby and when i tested it they worked fine then i just tried my high beams and my horn chirped i thought i had done something wrong but must be a Holden thing cause when i started the car it didnt chirp must be a battery saving device that high beams dont operate when ignition off. Just something to keep in mind.
Cheers

Ryan_Chapman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Ute
Update:
I had a bit of a fiddle around but nothing. Took it over to the Auto Electricions that fitted them, they done a few tests and then said that the High Beams were Shorting out on the Horn. Seems very strange but what they changed seems to have worked.

Cheers for all the help guys