Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV wheel fitment

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Yeah I can't quite understand that so 275 35 r20 on a 9.5" wheel with 45 offset will fit with out guard rolling even on sssl rears

I was just thinking and to try out that fitment buy some 12mm spacers, factory 19x9.5 57P wheels -12mm = 45P bolt them on check the clearence maybe do a slow lap around the block and then if theres no scrubbing buy the 20x9.5 45Ps with confidence

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
:banstick:
hi guys im thinking about upgrading my wheels I currently have stock 19x9.5 r8 wheels with 275 rear tyres im thinking if putting new wheels on
so far I have discovered if I go an aftermarket 20" wheel with a offset of 45> I will need guards rolled inorder to fit a 275 rear tyre and maybe even rear bar mounts re located im thinking will I loose much traction if I buy 20x9" with 255 tyres and will it look just gay? note my car is lowered on SSL front and SSSL rear king springs so the rear just sits above the tyre.

My 2 cents worth...........

1. If you want a wide selection of "Aftermarket" brand wheels to choose from that will clear the brakes you will need to bite the bullet and get the rear fenders rolled. You do not have much option because most of the 10 inch wheels with our 5 x 120 bolt pattern are not available in the higher offsets we need to clear the rear fenders when a 275 tire is fitted. A huge number of these 10 inch wheels are offered in offsets ranging from 35p to about 42p and quite a few are less than that. Many of the 5 x 120 wheels are designed around the lower offsets suitable for BMWs.

2. If you fit, on your lowered car, a 10 inch wheel with an offset under 48 and a 275 tyre, the tyre is almost certainly going to hit the rear guard lips with enough suspension movement. ( I have seen a few VEs with 45 offset 10 inch wheels and 275 tires where there are scrub marks on the outside face all around the tire - from the inside guard lip - and others where the guys with this offset wheel have rolled the guards to prevent contact).

3. There is a member here with an HSV R8 (lowered) who has fitted Bavaria BC10 wheels in the following specs:

Front 20 x 10 inch 35 offset ............. Tyre : 255 35 20
Rear 20 x 10 inch 48 offset ............ Tyre: 275 30 20

This set up cleared the rear guards but because he had lowered the car I think I recall he mentioned he had to trim/grind a bit of metal from the rear bumper brackets .

NO Guard Roll
If you don't want to roll the rear guards, have a look at the Bavaria wheel range in 20 inch as you can get a few of them in higher offsets, that are more suitable to the VE, than other companies manufacture in our stud pattern.
You can get these wheels through Zoom Garage in Hallam. Have a look at the VE they have done over ,,,,,,,here........
ZOOM Garage VE SS-V Project Car - Zoom Garage
Aussie Cars - Page 2

Also have a look at a couple of rims in the TSW range in 20 inch. Most of these are low offset (35) in 5 x 120 stud pattern but they do a couple of models in high offsets such as both the Nurburgring models which are available in 20 x 9.5 and 48 offset. A lot of the guys in the US have these on their G8s in stock finishes or with custom paint jobs and 275 tyres. Of course they do not need to roll the guards. The Interlagos model was also made in 20 x 9.5 and 48 offset and I assume still is and I understand these also clear HSV brakes.

There are pictures of HSVs with these wheels here.....
TSW Alloy Wheels Australia - Gallery
There are a few HSVs to look at in the gallery but have a look at the lowered red HSV - also with the Nurburgring 20 inch wheels (9.5 rears).

(I think someone above mentioned they have fitted a 275 tyre on a 20 x 10 with 40 offset and had no rubbing at all. If you fit that wheel in that offset, the edge of the rim will extend very close to the edge of the rear guard bodywork on your HSV. With a 275 tyre fitted, the tyre will foul the rear guard lip on your car with sufficient suspension movement because the wheel edge will extend 23 mm further out than your stock 9.5 inch 57p high offset HSV wheels. (A 45 offset 20 x 10 wheel will protrude another 18 mm further out than your 9.5 inch 57p wheels)).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was just thinking and to try out that fitment buy some 12mm spacers, factory 19x9.5 57P wheels -12mm = 45P bolt them on check the clearence maybe do a slow lap around the block and then if theres no scrubbing buy the 20x9.5 45Ps with confidence

Spacers are illegal to fit.....so something else to consider

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Spacers are illegal to fit.....so something else to consider
He did say to fit them and just do a lap around the block to simulate a different wheel offset. Still illegal, but if they're only on your car for 5 minutes, I don't think it will be the end of the world.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
God dam this wheel stuff confuses the hell out of me. This thread has me second guessing myself now as well.

In simple terms I would put it this way:

You want a 9.5 or 10 rear wheel and a 275 wide tyre:

1. DO NOT Want to Roll the Rear Guards

Pick a wheel with a 48p or higher offset

2. YOU WILL Roll the Rear Guards

Pick a wheel down to but not under 35p offset. The lower the offset the further your wheel and your tyre will protude to the edge of the rear guard.

To ensure you keep the wheel wholly within the confines of the bodywork of your VE I would recommend against using an offset below 35P on your 9.5 or 10 inch wheel. There are so many wheels available in 5x120 VE stud pattern in 35p and above there is really no need to look at lower offsets(25 -30).

3. You Do NOT want to roll the Rear Guards but still want to fit a 9.5 or 10 inch wide wheel in the range 38p to 45p offset .

Forget the 275 tyre then. Fit a 255 wide tyre instead of a 275 and you will have no clearance issues with the stock guard. (Most tyre manufacturers offering a 255 35 20 tyre approve these for 10 inch wide wheels).

(For the record here is a VF SSV(colour - fantale) running 20 x 10 38p wheels with 255 35 20 tyres on all corners. (No rolling) Also gives you a good indication of how much a 38p wheel in 10 inch will protrude.
VF SSV Manual sedan in Fantale (Orange) - 20x10s F&R - Finally got pics! - Street Commodores Online Forum
http://www.avantgardewheels.com/cus...s/1455938_10151772063323129_1133045844_n.html

If you cannot open the street commodores forum link go to streetcommodores.com.au and to the MY COMMODORE section.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
He did say to fit them and just do a lap around the block to simulate a different wheel offset. Still illegal, but if they're only on your car for 5 minutes, I don't think it will be the end of the world.

Not insinuating it's the end of the world....advising just in case someone wishes to fit them and what to expect if caught....

Or am I not allowed to do that?