Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC actuator replacement.

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Hey guys, had the same symptoms as everyone else on my WM Caprice V Series II. Had no blower on feet, but face and demister worked fine.

Tried calibrating (using Tech2, holding demister button didn't work for me) which resulted in a "Pass & Fail" status, which was expected with the DTCs on the HVAC system and a broken actuator.

The Pass & Fail status seemed to set the HVAC system into a fail-safe mode, which forces Demister only, with hot on the left, and cold on the right. Clearing the DTCs did not restore normal function.

Followed the same directions as everyone else (thanks!), but in the WM there's also a foot-well lightbulb to be removed from the kickpanel (just twist and pull from the wired side). Only one of the screws needed to be removed from the ODBII diagnostic port (I suspect this may be the case on other cars).

I used a 6.5mm socket to hold a phillips head drill bit to remove the lower screw, and Craftright 3 Piece Offset Hex Key Screwdriver Set ($2.90) from Bunnings for the higher screw.

After re-calibration, it resulted in a "Pass" and everything appeared to go back to normal. The DTCs remained on the HVAC system and had to be cleared manually. I suspect most of you would still have DTCs, but without a Tech2, you wouldn't notice.

Anyway, thanks for the guide - not much to contribute, but hopefully someone with a WM will have a little more confidence now.
While it's the same part number, the cost was $60-$80 from the local Holden parts shops, but managed to bring them down to $40.00 'trade price's (no where near as good as the prices above, but my local dealers are always expensive)

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Hey guys, I have just replaced two of these modules in my ssv wagon and done the relearn. The top drivers side one is working fine (that screw was a real bitch) but the one on the passenger side that wasn't working now moves the plastic levers one way(to heat) but won't go to cool. Any ideas. If I take the module off and plug it in loose it is turning. Ssv wagon with dual zone.

Cheers
Garrick

bumping an old thread.... but did you ever get this sorted, gdunkley?

i replaced the passenger side actuator, and have the same issue. when plugged but not attached to the actuator it will spin both directions, but when properly attached it will only move the arm to hot setting and then stays there (regardless of where i start the actuator/arm before a relearn)

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
bumping an old thread.... but did you ever get this sorted, gdunkley?

i replaced the passenger side actuator, and have the same issue. when plugged but not attached to the actuator it will spin both directions, but when properly attached it will only move the arm to hot setting and then stays there (regardless of where i start the actuator/arm before a relearn)

for anyone else that comes across this issue, it was the HVAC module for me.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Bumping an old thread, where are people getting actuators from?
My 2 nearest dealers want $50 each for them?

Ross

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Hmmmm, I think there's a rort going on here as these things fail more as the cars get older.
Just rang the dealer in Springwood, $41.95+gst
Holden profiting from a commonly failing part!

Session88

Reaction score
Members Ride
~
My footwell venting wasn't working (everything else OK). Thought I'd try to do the reset last night now only demister works, looks like the actuator the controls butterfly to mix hot/coold air also is not working.

Edit: Supposedly if one actuator fails (it defaults to demister and doesnt allow control of temp hot cold etc). I will try to replace driver side actuator only to see if it fixes.

Just called a Holden dealer here in Perth $52 for each actuator.

Last edited:

Session88

Reaction score
Members Ride
~
Anyway guys... quick update

As per this website
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/
and comment from Mike;

"I would urge people with the Directional issue (unable to blow on feet etc…) to avoid trying the calibration. I did this in the first instance and it defaults the unit to front demist on heat only. You can no longer change direction of air or hot/cold. Air-con becomes useless also.

It seems that running the calibration when the drivers side actuator is faulty, then stuffs up the micro controller on the passenger side. I verified this by running the calibration while watching the passenger side actuator. It moves fine with the calibration but does nothing with normal use e.g. switching hot/cold.

My advice is to either live with having no air on your feet, or simply replace the drivers side actuator. DO NOT RUN THIS CALIBRATION.

Interesting that AI are not aware of this ‘trigger’. It renders your unit pretty much useless. Anyway great pictorial tutorial

June 9, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Reply"

The above is 100% correct. I replaced only driver's side actuator tonight and everything is back to normal! Ended up paying 52 dollars at a local Holden dealer.

Get yourself a phillips head screwdriver similar to below to get the difficult top screw out

th