Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE mobile phone patch harness - read if using it purely for 12v power

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey everyone,

If you have a VE with bluetooth & want to do like I did, which is to use the Holden mobile phone patch harness purely for its 12V power source (say to hard wire additional cig lighter sockets in) and not for its actual use as a mobile phone kit, pay attention.

I sourced the cable from a Holden dealer, who had 2 options ... one was around the $20 mark, the other was around the $120 (forgive me, this was a little while ago I bought it). One was listed without bluetooth ($20) the other with bluetooth.

We werent sure what this referred too as old mate at Holden hadnt ever sold one for a VE, so I went the cheaper route. Afterall I'm just using it as a power source like I had done in my previous VZ and WK Stato.

I get everying in and nice and neat, well wrapped and out of the way.
A few days later I realise my bluetooth doesnt work with the phone.
The voice activation doesnt work & I cannot get the phone to broadcast the audio over the cars speakers.
Come to think of it, I havent heard the 3 second connection confirmation beep at startup either.

After some hunting around a mates VE that hasnt been touched it become apparant.

1) when you first climb under the glovebox to locate this socket, it has a plug already on it which has 3x wires coming from it. I stupidly threw this away but of course it does something - it has wiring in it!

2) when you compare this plug to the patch harness, you notice these wires make up Mute, Audio + and Audio -
You also notice they run from the harness plug to nothing (ie to connect to your phone kit), whereas on the plug you pull off the car it loops around and goes back into the plug at different terminal locations

3) the fix:
cut these 3x wires listed as Mute, Audio + and Audio - about 10cm from the plug.
I stripped the wires back about 1cm, twisted and folded.
Shove them into the same terminal locations as they go into the original plug you removed.
I.E you are replicating what these wires do in the original plug!

Wallah - it works.

I am guessing the expensive "with Bluetooth" plug does this for you, or does something stupid to offset this so you can run either plug or bluetooth - but if your like me you will never use this harness & plug to actually run a mobile phone kit, as your car already has bluetooth, you just wanted a no fuss way to access the Ground, +12v and accessory power feed.

Hope this helps someone one day :)

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Post up some pics, this sounds like a pretty cool idea.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There is another way as well.

There is an unused power plug clipped up under the HVAC module, on the RHS of the centre console.

Its a power supply for the 'smokers kit', just need to remove the forward 'kick panel' on the right side of the console to access it.