Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve omega over heating after water pump replaced

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hi. sister has a 2008 ve omega v6. water pump had a weep so replaced it and radiator hoses and radiator cap with one from supercheap. anyway. seemed that more coolant deained then i could fill???

let it idle for ages untill got hot while adding small amout of coolant then put cap on and took for drive. seemed good....stayed at 1/4 on guage. went home.....sister went home (bout 10 k away) and when she was about home the temp shot up to 3/4 and fans stayed on after she turned car off.

so checked coolant and added about a liter. took for long drive at 100kph etc .....about a 25 k drive. seemed good.

checked coolant this morning and was.fine. she drove to work which is about 5 k away from her home... was good.....drove home later in day and temp atarted riseing to half but at this stage she was home.

on the didgital readout temp was at 97c and went up to 109c when driveing at 100kph then back down and up again.....but on guage it stayed at around 1/4. is 100c to hot or fine forbthese engines?

....what have i missed? does this sound like a bad radiator cap?? was new but who knows.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
think found problem. put old radiator cap on.......now perfect

only thing is after a long drive the radiator hoses are not pressureised and i can remove cap straight away...is that normal? as with my vs commodore the hoses are normally rock hard and i cannot remove cap unless cooled this was with both caps

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
VE hoses should be hard same as a vs. Make sure you run the heater after refilling coolant then top up after a short drive once cool.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I'd be checking the aftermarket radiator cap. Some can be a bit dodgy. Genuine is the way to go with these and doesn't cost much more.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Did you refill it by just pouring coolant into the cap? When I did my pump I tried that and found a lot less went back in than was drained. Bloody air pockets. By gently pulsing the bottom radiator hose (squeezing) I saw the level under the cap drop (some air managing to get up to the top). So I went with the trick I used on the old VN. I disconnected the top hose from the cap thing and poured into the hose until it flowed out of the fitting. This pushed out all the air and the correct amount of coolant went back in. That method made the water basically circulate and push air out, where using the cap to fill it from empty lets the coolant flow in both directions at the same time, hence trapping air. Filled the reservoir and took it for a test drive. All perfect, didn't even need to top up the reservoir. And I'm pretty sure on the VE you don't need to worry about the heater as it works differently to older models (don't think there's any valves to stop coolant circulation through the heater, it instead shuts off the air going through and being heated). Pretty confident about the heater, but not 100%. So it wouldn't hurt to do that step in case I'm mixed up.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for all the sugestions. in the end i got abgenuine holden cap for it and its been perfect. for some reason the tridon cap was causeing it to overnheat...both on guage and the didgital readout was jumping between 99c and 112c while driveing at 100kph now its between 87c and 95c and fans are not stying on after shutdown

cdmanxp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore Omega
I had boiling coolant problems and I changed the radiator cap. Problem solved. I suggest you buy genuine GM parts. Mine was $16.80

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
yep a lot of the aftermarket caps are crap, had one or two fail straight up on other cars, never had a genuine one give a problem

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
didn`t see this thread.
My bottom hose was sucked in like it was being squeezed in when cold inflated when hot.
Radiator cap needed replacing. (hose ok)