Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE OTR & CAT- back exhaust upgrade - worth it?? or go more??

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
There's a few options with everything you're interested in, so it pays to do your research on how you want your car to behave, rather than what everyone else wants.

For instance, there are OTRs that will require a MAFless tune (Russo, Ramjet, etc) but there or some which will allow for a MAF tune (ie, retain the MAF sensor for legality reasons like the VCM OTR intake - although this one can also be MAFless). The difference between MAF and MAFless is not such a big issue with the VEs - it used to be a significant restriction but now there's around a ~1-2rwkw difference, depending on your tuner. Some still prefer to remove the MAF while others are much more willing to retain it.

There's also a variety of headers, cats and exhaust designs which can make a difference. There are pros and cons for long headers vs short, tri-y headers, varying degrees of high-flow cats and varying degrees of legality.

There are a few places in Sydney that are definitely worth talking to. Oztrack is one, also Marrano's in croydon, SAS in silverwater and Castle Hill Performance Centre. There are plenty of other quality workshops but these would be the 'famous' ones. I know Cromer Exhaust does some very nice work, as does Northmead Performance.

Unless you're planning on taking the FI route or camming the car, then there's no NEED to go bigger than a 2.5inch exhaust. That size (depending on design) is ideal for a mechanically stock motor - however you won't find any negative effects going to a 3 inch - some systems sound better as 2.5, others sound better as 3 - so spend some time on youtube, having a listen to what other people have fitted (and if the products are not available locally, it's easy to order interstate and have it shipped to your preferred workshop) - but also call around some of your local exhaust shops and go in and have a listen and see what you like.

OTR, full system and tune can cost anywhere from $3,000 to around $9,000 - depending on brands and/or custom work.

Didn't read this before i posted, good info mr. snips :)
May i also suggest a diff change, amazing the difference it makes.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Just for a comparison on pricing when you do the ring around, my wagon is cammed and has 330rwkw and it cost me just under $7g.

maka5

-=U=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS M6
i was in the same situation as you not long ago.
i have Ramjet OTR + 3" s/s catback and tune (i put the ramjet in myself few months bak, kept the maf and then just got it tuned with maf in place)
all in all im very happy with the car, only regret is not getting the headers and cat as well.
Also keep in mind that some headers and cats sit very low and will scrape a sh!it load especially if the cars lowered.
Im going to get Sureflo headers and their 5" ballistic cats - they are length tuned short headers and the cats sit up nice and tight + you dont need o2 extensions.

cheers

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I was thinking that originally cashie, but some very light arm bending from the lads, I've decided to go the whole hog! I think I was subconsciously thinking of doing more, so it didn't take much convincing.
Now the fun begins of pricing and best brands available, also as much Aussie made stuff as possible would be a bonus.

If you want to spend the money, then fair enough...
Check out KPM's system, bloody nice piece of work, but not cheap.

exhaust-3.jpg

KPM%20Premium%20Exhauststt%20088.jpg

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I have the full kpm 3" system with 1 7/8 headers and it sounds bloody awsome, no droan, great noise when ur under it and awsome burbling when down shifting, had 3 people now comment on how nice it sounds, will sound even better with a decent cam :D

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
If you want to spend the money, then fair enough...
Check out KPM's system, bloody nice piece of work, but not cheap.

The KPM spread Looks unreal, I had a look at the prices and they weren't too bad,

Aussie Made: Check
Awesome Sound: Check (guaranteed no droning, Double Check!)

The only question would be that they offer ceramic & non ceramic headers in the full systems. Would they're be a need for the ceramic headers?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
The KPM spread Looks unreal, I had a look at the prices and they weren't too bad,

Aussie Made: Check
Awesome Sound: Check (guaranteed no droning, Double Check!)

The only question would be that they offer ceramic & non ceramic headers in the full systems. Would they're be a need for the ceramic headers?

I also got the ceramic headers, i reakon they have made the bay temps cooler, but also look awsome :D

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
I also got the ceramic headers, i reakon they have made the bay temps cooler, but also look awsome :D

Sounds good, If I'm going to spend the money for a good system, maybe as well go that little bit extra to get it right first.

Thanks for the advice mate!

deano77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60-th Anniversary
I'll be getting my system done in about 4 weeks... can't wait