Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Radio to VE IQ Setup

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
If you want sound to be played through the car speakers, then you will need RSE enabled.
(If you are going to use the infra red headphones, then you dont even need to do this).
Having RSE enabled will also allow the DVD video to be played through the Front IQ screen.

The VIM function is only required if you want to display the DVD video on the Holden IQ screen when the car is moving.
(The back screen will play video regardless if VIM is enabled, disabled, moving or stationary).

I dunno how much Holden would charge to enable the RSE option for you (It requires a Tech2 / TIS2WEB tool to do this).
If you were in NSW, I would have suggested you give DoubleDip (Ultimate Wiring Conversions) a PM, but to program this option up, they need physical access to the IQ system.

I hope this helps ?

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
Hi Zerone,

Many thanks for your reply and assistance on this matter, based on replies you've made on various threads you certainly do seem to know your stuff and are definitely an asset to these forums.
So essentially what you are saying is that I can hook up the rear dvd player (using genuine harnesses) and it will play video uninterruptedly on the screen (without any audio via the car's speakers) IF the rear aux/rse isn’t enabled from the iq system?
That sounds great for starters as I want to confirm that the unit will play before I jump in and have it fully installed.
The only issue I have at present it working out what harnesses/cables I actually need to hook it up, the dealer has 4 different types available and are listed as follows:
Wire-RF wiring harness
Video Disc Player harness
Video Display harness &
Radio & Mobile antenna/nav harness.
My car has factory sat nav, reverse camera and Bluetooth as standard so I might get away with only some of these harnesses but I won’t know for sure unless I take panels out of my car to find out!
Yeah unfortunately I’m in Melbourne so Ultimate Wiring Conversions is not possible.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Thanks for the reply Zerone.

It definitely is a shame when all people want to do is take take take. I've put in quite a bit of time on these forums helping people out more than I've been helped out myself, even writing a few tutorials for the how-to section along the way.

I've bought myself an EEPROM programmer, 3m SOIC adapter, 6.5" touchscreen overlay, USB touch 4-wire controller, Raspberry pi, RPi case and a bunch of cables which are all on the way.

Ill be writing up an extensive guide as i go. Seems that every image / video related to doing this has been pulled down from the G8, GRRRRRR8, etc forums and its a little frustrating when i know others have done this, yet nobody is sharing...

I was looking into purchasing one of those CANBUS capable dev kits to sniff out the packets from the steering wheel and write a phyton or XBMC plugin to interpret them but not sure how im going to go until i get it all here. I had a thought of trying to bypass CANBUS and going straight from behind the clockspring to the GPIO connector (or simple adapter interface) on the Raspberry PI, hopefully making it easier, but im not sure if there is any circuitry in the steering switches that converts the signal instantly to CANBUS or if its converted at the BCM

Got a few uni mates who are programmers who can give me a hand when i need it who are also quite interested in giving me some help, so hopefully this all pans out!

Also, if you can tell me who these original people who discovered the VIM eeprom locations are, id much rather pay them for their services than shell out to JHP if they are purely profiting from their work! PM me their details and ill try line up a way to get this done from them, help finance back their efforts,

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Thanks BigBoss.

Not sure how i'd interface that to a RaspberryPi though. I could see if anybody has made a DMM API and Interface module for use on the GPIO, then it would be a matter of listening for a certain resistance value coming out of the 3.5mm connector and sending out the corresponding keyboard shortcut.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Zerone,
So essentially what you are saying is that I can hook up the rear dvd player (using genuine harnesses) and it will play video uninterruptedly on the screen (without any audio via the car's speakers) IF the rear aux/rse isn’t enabled from the iq system?
That sounds great for starters as I want to confirm that the unit will play before I jump in and have it fully installed.
The only issue I have at present it working out what harnesses/cables I actually need to hook it up, the dealer has 4 different types available and are listed as follows:
Wire-RF wiring harness
Video Disc Player harness
Video Display harness &
Radio & Mobile antenna/nav harness.
My car has factory sat nav, reverse camera and Bluetooth as standard so I might get away with only some of these harnesses but I won’t know for sure unless I take panels out of my car to find out!
Yeah unfortunately I’m in Melbourne so Ultimate Wiring Conversions is not possible.

Yep, on the first point. The RSE stuff will work even if you have the headunit completely removed from the vehicle.
Its totally independent. The RSE Options on the headunit are there for sound through the car speakers, and for viewing the RSE video when the vehicle is stationary (Without VIM).

If you have the reverse Camera, then you will have the video connector on the side of the IQ.
(Which is a good start, as I have been trying to get hold of one of these for a while, without success).

The question now is whether Holden have cheaped out, and removed the RSE Video Input wire from this connector, or if its there, but not connected on the other side.
(If you know what I mean).

The factory wiring information for this stuff is to be honest, quite terrible.
The RSE wiring should be simple to work out, but looking at the factory wiring, you get the idea that there was a bit of wacky weed being passed around on the day they drew up the diagrams for this stuff.
(So its very hard to work out what is exactly needed, and what isn't when fitting up an RSE).
Some of the looms change when you have a sunroof, rear seat map lights, Diversity antenna, (Thats only the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

If you can get the system to work just by itself, then the rest should be fairly easy.
(Ill see what other info I can dig up for you).

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, on the first point. The RSE stuff will work even if you have the headunit completely removed from the vehicle.
Its totally independent. The RSE Options on the headunit are there for sound through the car speakers, and for viewing the RSE video when the vehicle is stationary (Without VIM).

If you have the reverse Camera, then you will have the video connector on the side of the IQ.
(Which is a good start, as I have been trying to get hold of one of these for a while, without success).

The question now is whether Holden have cheaped out, and removed the RSE Video Input wire from this connector, or if its there, but not connected on the other side.
(If you know what I mean).

The factory wiring information for this stuff is to be honest, quite terrible.
The RSE wiring should be simple to work out, but looking at the factory wiring, you get the idea that there was a bit of wacky weed being passed around on the day they drew up the diagrams for this stuff.
(So its very hard to work out what is exactly needed, and what isn't when fitting up an RSE).
Some of the looms change when you have a sunroof, rear seat map lights, Diversity antenna, (Thats only the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

If you can get the system to work just by itself, then the rest should be fairly easy.
(Ill see what other info I can dig up for you).

Yep I get what you are saying, I took photos showing the connectors for both audio and video but haven't the slightest clue how to post them up!
One thing I did notice was that the C & D connectors for the audio aren't plug in type like in the series 1 and the connectors for the video are totally different too. I'm also almost convinced that the pin arrangements differ between the series 1 and IQ (damn photos would really help right now!)
Yes I do have the reversing camera however I have no idea where the other end of the video connector cables go and the harnesses that the dealer suggested I need for the RSE don't seem appropriate for the series 2 :unsure:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, most of the wiring between series 1 and series 2 is completely different.

image.php

The lower connector is your video connector, which allows connecting Reverse Camera, RSE Composite Video, and the Holden EDI's RGB+S.
Think of the upper connector as Audio Only for Series II.

I have wiring information for the Video connector somewhere, and Ill post that information up when I can find it.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Thanks for the reply Zerone.

I was looking into purchasing one of those CANBUS capable dev kits to sniff out the packets from the steering wheel and write a phyton or XBMC plugin to interpret them but not sure how im going to go until i get it all here. I had a thought of trying to bypass CANBUS and going straight from behind the clockspring to the GPIO connector (or simple adapter interface) on the Raspberry PI, hopefully making it easier, but im not sure if there is any circuitry in the steering switches that converts the signal instantly to CANBUS or if its converted at the BCM

I need to double check the wiring for the Steering wheel buttons, but because you are still using the factory head unit, you are really only going to be interested in the Track (Function) scroll wheel, as the headunit will be responding to Volume, Source, Mute and Telephone buttons.
The Scroll wheels are encoded at the steering wheel switch PCB, and are then sent to the Cluster for transmitting data over the Single Wire Can.

Here is a link to the Single Wire GM Can Bus sniffing that a couple of us have been working on.
http://www.carmodder.com/gm-lan-single-wire-can-bus-sniffing-t13849.html

We have nutted out the CAN bus commands sent when the steering wheel controls are used, as well as some of the headunit buttons (Below the LCD screen) as well.

The first post has a link to the Adaptor that I am using to test this stuff, which if you visit the website, will have links to schematics for the adaptor.
(So you can get it to work using USB, or some serial configuration).

The next step though would be to sniff the BUS information, and then convert key packets in to keyboard button presses, for use with software running under an OS.
Im terrible at writing device drivers, so the solution here might be to use an intermediary (Arduino) which will interface with the ELM327 Chip, sniff for key packets, then use its USB output as an emulated Keyboard, and push keyboard button presses out when packets are received.

(See what I mean by nutting all this complex stuff out !!!!!)
I have thought about this sort of stuff long and hard, and its the sort of project that you want as many different (and varied) people working together on, to try and nut out the best solutions.

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally worked out how to attach photos!
Hopefully these paint a clearer picture of what I mean.

20130110_191746_resized.jpg
20130110_191503_resized.jpg This shows the video connector