Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE rear rims, 15's fit?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi Guys,

I have VE brakes on the back of my VR, and i'm struggling to find decent drag tyres for the 16" rims I have spare.
Does anyone know if 15" steelies (or a particular alloy wheel they know of) will fit over the stock rear disc/caliper? I measured that it would require a 14" internal diameter from approx 1" back from the mounting face to everything rear of that if it is to fit.
15" drag tyres will be much easier (and probably cheaper) to source.

Thanks all,

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I have seen VE Omegas on 15s if that helps. I don't know if the Omega rear brake is the same as the SS rear. I know the SSV had a large front then the Omega's did.

Think I've seen picture of SKD55 on 15s

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So, my local wrecker was confident they would fit easily. But reckons they wouldn't fit vf rear brakes.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
He must have mis-heard me over the phone yesterday. I measured his 15" steelies this morning and they will not fit.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Ok, so, if you want to run a 15" wheel you will have to mill the back of the omega brake caliper and possibly machine the inside of the steel wheel were and welds are too high.
Its doable.
There is also a 17" front runner from racestar wheels that fit over brembo/hsv brakes.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Cheers Guys.
Found a 255/50-16 Mickey Thompson. So grabbed 2 of them and fitted to my 16's. That will have to do for now.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Cheers Guys.
Found a 255/50-16 Mickey Thompson. So grabbed 2 of them and fitted to my 16's. That will have to do for now.

If you were gonna be happy with a 16" drag radial, I could have told you. Glad your ready to go non the less :)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If you were gonna be happy with a 16" drag radial, I could have told you. Glad your ready to go non the less :)

I wasn't having any luck finding a DOT radial 16 in the country so decided I would find a 15" rim as tyres would be easier to find.
Eventually found a supplier for a DOT radial 16 tyre. I had previously emailed them without any reply, But they were very helpful and quick to answer when I phoned them for there 2nd chance.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
https://www.rocketindustries.com.au/images/stories/pdf/catalogue/section_21.pdf
Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S
MT3460 P255/50R16

If you emailed rocket industries, they dont respond real well to emails. Phone works.

I run an 18" Mickey Thompson® ET Street® Radial II
Also a Hoosier 255/50R15 Drag Radial.

Side note, if your buying a Dot radial because you can drive on the highway, you cant necessarily.
Here to help.