Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Dang, the hole is the easy bit.. pulling the bumper off, that will take all day I'm sure...

They're surprisingly easy.

3 or 4 screws/scrivets in each rear wheel arch (should be able to get them out without removing the wheels)

Then there are another couple of clips in the centre underneath then some more when you open the boot from memory.

Then with the help of somebody else, pull from one of the corners outwards, there are plastic pop clips under the tail lights and along the centre of the bar. You need to be forceful, but not overly to snap it.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
as above said, its quite easy. I undertook this task with the 1200kg (tongue) style. I winged it, took about 1.5 hours. Its a very simple task.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
To remove the bumper there is a Philips screw right at the very top of the bumper inside the wheel arch (use Philips No2 screw driver), from memory I am thinking there is just 2 scrivets to remove inside each wheel arch. As Sabbath said, pull the bumper away from wheel arch at the top of the bumper grabbing it from the inside edge at the top of the bumper in the wheel arch and pull away with a firm pull (I found a you tube video that someone had posted which helped me to get the idea. With a 2100Kg bar you also need to remove the rear mufflers and their heatshields as there is a bolt that needs to be installed from underneath (this isn't needed on 1200 Kg bar). The only hole you need to drill is for the wiring to pass through the top of the spare wheel well. When you remove the bumper there is an alloy bar behind the bumper, you need to remove this and the brackets that the alloy bar is installed on. The alloy bar and the 4 nuts need to be retained to refit to the towbar, so don't throw them over your shoulder as soon as you take them off. You need to remove the carpet trim panels in the boot to install the wiring loom.

Edit, also as Sabbath said there are three Scrivets under the bar at the rear, and I didn't mention, but probably fairly obvious is you need to cut a hole in the bumper bar for the tow bar, just use a good sharp utility knife like a Stanley knife for this, the inside of the bumper bar is marked where to cut.

Last edited:

Mr fixer

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 ve omega
I ve done exactly as you said thanks , now im looking for the wiring ,should there b a plug somewhere ? Helllpppp.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I ve done exactly as you said thanks , now im looking for the wiring ,should there b a plug somewhere ? Helllpppp.
Personally I'd suggest you get a genuine wiring kit (which is the wiring connectors with a relay module , it's sort of plug and play in that you plug it in to existing connectors behind the boot carpet panels mainly on the right hand side of the car - there is an existing connector that needs to be unplugged then you plug factory wiring wiring kit into the two connectors that you then have. If it's a new kit it will come with instructions. You will still need to connect the cable to the trailer plug (need to drill a hole in the boot floor -I drilled the hole into the plastic spare wheel well), otherwise the connectors are all done for you.