Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 3.6 Radiator Question

adamdunford86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore 3.8 (Dual Fuel)
Hi Guys

Ive got a 2012 SV6 VE Series 2 sedan and at about 50,000km the radiator packed in - the car was still under warranty so Holden replaced it no questions asked

We've now got a dog so are looking at trading our Sedan to a Wagon - we have found a 2012 SV6 VE Series 2 wagon with 40,000km on the clock and was wandering if the radiators was a wide spread issue or we just was unlucky?

Any other common problems people have had with this series?

Thanks

Adam

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Hi Guys

Ive got a 2012 SV6 VE Series 2 sedan and at about 50,000km the radiator packed in - the car was still under warranty so Holden replaced it no questions asked

We've now got a dog so are looking at trading our Sedan to a Wagon - we have found a 2012 SV6 VE Series 2 wagon with 40,000km on the clock and was wandering if the radiators was a wide spread issue or we just was unlucky?

Any other common problems people have had with this series?

Thanks

Adam

I'm thinking unlucky, 2 months ago I traded an 09 SIDI SV6 with 109,000 Km on an 09 SS and I didn't have any problem with the SV6. My daughter also has an MY10 2010 SV6 and no problems there also. If there hasn't been any changes to the radiators between 2009 and 2012, I'd say just unlucky, actually like yourself my daughter also wants to change from sedan to a wagon.

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Nice upgrade clubby...:smoking:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Very unusual for a Commodore OE radiator to require replacement at that age and amount of use. Most likely a faulty product or component slipped through quality control at the supplier's plant ( especially if it was one of the plastic sections that faulted in your case).

I also have a 2012 SV6 (but much lower kms) and do not have any issues with the radiator. Definitely will keep a close eye on it now though.

Those were the days when a typical auto radiator was well built (used no weak plastic components that spit and cracked) and usually lasted the life of the car when properly maintained.