Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Air Conditioner Mystery.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
*Update*. So it went in last week and of course, they have never heard of this problem. Apparently they put a software update in it and I have not had the aircon problem since. BUT. Now my IQ has 'lost' the reversing camera and there is no tab in config menu to add it back it. Ring up - has to be brought back in and re-set. ALSO. USB stick will only play audio tracks in order starting from 1. If you try and browse/random/or next, the whole thing just gets lost and hangs. Why did they have to mess with this - it was all working fine before. ARRRRGGGGHHH!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Did the a/c problem happen on a fairly humid day?

It sounds like the evaporator is icing up, and the system shuts off to let it defrost.

Maybe the thermostat on the evaporator is on the low side of the tolerance band, causing ice.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Did the a/c problem happen on a fairly humid day?

Not really, it was summer - one hot day 40ish and two days were about 28. It's pretty dry heat where I live, and two times it did it from a 'warm' start, so I can't see that there was any ice on it. Anyway, it hasn't done it for a while and 'maybe' the software update has fixed it.

Surprisingly, the USB's seem to be working again. Maybe it's like any computer, shut down and try again till it works.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I find a lot of VE/VF Commodore air=conditioning problems and particularly with the climate control versions has to do with dirt build up on the evaporator inside the dash. This is the actual cooling coil itself which gets cold and has fan forced air pass over it.
Holden doesn't provide the pollen filter as standard but it can be bought and fitted from under the hood. The pollen filter is fitted over the mesh to stop dirt making it's way into the blower fan. This will stop dirt entering the aircon vents. Open the bonnet and on the passenger side is the fresh air vent intake. Remove the six scrivets and you will see a mesh filter that usually has leaves and rubbish build up so that needs a vaccuum out. But the real problem is the dust over time gets sucked in through the blower fan and settled on the evaporator reducing it's effectiveness. So much so that cold spots may appear which form ice where the air cannot pass through. The temp sensor inside the unit then thinks the aircon is too cold and turns the compressor gas off and/or backs the fan off automatically so much so it's no longer cool or the fan reduces speed or is no longer working no matter how much you try and wind it up to maximum.
It's a long and expensive job to get to the evaporator so the simple fix is to blow into the vents with a reversed vaccum hose that might clear some dust. The second is if the fan slows, run the heating on high and MELT the ice, then things will go back to normal. You can usually tell that ice builds up by the excess water under the car next time you drive it as the water is purged on start up. That's the simple fix....

IF the vent actuators get out of whack you can also;
Turn the ignition on but not start.
Set the fan to 50%
Hold the rear demist button for 5 seconds
The HVAC system will now do a set up procedure and test all the vent actuators and reset them to the correct positions.
You will hear the actuators operate and then stop. When the fan starts again the setup is complete.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
hi, there is a common problem with ve aircon, often the evaporator ices up, due to poor location of temp sensor.
There is a relatively easy fix. below is the technical support bulletin with good instructions on how to fix it.
http://www.adair.com.au/tsb/TSB 76 HOLDEN VE-WM EVAPORATOR SENSOR RELOCATION.pdf
to get to the area you have to remove the glove box
vid on how to do that

At 1:15 he says its pulls down, he is correct,
But,
in the VE Series 2, there is 2 screws that holds the cover in-place so it doesn't fall down on the passengers feet.

nr210469

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais my10
I found that starting the vehicle turn fan upto 20 hold to stop fan from slowing.
Turn ignition to off position and restart engine now working again.

Michael24hp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Sv6 VE MY12.5
Hey All,

I have the same issue, it started with the actuators not working to which I could fix by holding the the rear window defog button which reset the aircon.

Now the snowflake symbol states off to which I cannot fix by resetting the system.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Did your IQ look like this: View attachment 157155

It has happened to me a few times, I have to turn the car on and off like you said to get it back to normal...
Bit late on the 2013 reply, but dude, Britney Spears??? Fk. That would cause a few problems in its own right.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey All,

I have the same issue, it started with the actuators not working to which I could fix by holding the the rear window defog button which reset the aircon.

Now the snowflake symbol states off to which I cannot fix by resetting the system.
First though, you need the system itself to be checked. Make sure it’s working correctly. ie, TXV, Compressor, condenser, correct gas levels.