Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS alternator light

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
So I just installed my new alternator last night and the alt warning light comes up when I start the car and stays there it's charging normally and sitting between 13.9-14.5 volts.
I have a VE SS!
Is there anything I should do to the computer or any ideas why it's coming up?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
did u get the right alternator..? some places dont know and they sell u a earlier one thats not controlled by the ecu and it charges at round 14v all the time but the VE is ment to be ecu controlled depending on situations can charge from 13v to 15v depending on draw, was the code removed..? and still came back

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Hey mate, I checked it has all the same numbers on the alternator, I just removed my old one & fitted this one last night I haven't had anyone look at it yet... There was no code that I know of the alt light would come on every 10 mins with the old one then stopped working and I had very low battery so I thought should be straight swap and no more warning lights.
I bought a
92193199, A003TG4191 alternator
For VE SS 08 L98

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id get the codes looked at even tho it was just the alt light there can be a code associated with it in the background, if its a alt light with a code then it can take quite a few ignition turn on's for it to reset itself after no new code is set so could just take time to go away, unless there is still something going on

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
The only thing I can think of is to make sure the connector on the side of the alternator is plugged in correctly (I assume the main charge cable is nice and tight).

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
After trying all that didn't fix it :( took it down the auto elec tested everything found to be a faulty aftermarket alt so went genuine and no light lesson learnt :/

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
After trying all that didn't fix it :( took it down the auto elec tested everything found to be a faulty aftermarket alt so went genuine and no light lesson learnt :/
Im having the same issue..can i ask where u bought the aftermarket alternator? If it was the same part number it should have been fine right? I got quoted 950 forca brand new one or 150 for a refurbished one

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
When you are going to do work yourself try and buy genuine parts from Holden. You pay a bit more however it is going to fit the first time. What comes out goes straight back in. I paid around $450 for genuine alternator. The more you go to Holden the cheaper the parts will get as they get to know you. I get around 25 to 30% off retail. You can also shop around dealers or look online. Ebay Alanmance. Alan Mance Holden for example has wholesale prices on just about all Holden parts if you buy them through Ebay. But there are also others like Ebay Lionsden...Barry Bourke Holden.