Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Door Rattle

DougieC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LUMINA SS 6.0
I have developed an annoying rattle in my driver side door. I tried taking the inside door cover off to look for the rattle but without success.

There is a screw just in front of the door handle and one in the bottom of the armrest. Then there are the screws around the outside of the panel. With all these screws out I still can't remove the panel.:bang:I don't want to pull and break something.

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the panel safely?:bow:

Thanks, Dougie.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
G'day Dougie, it may be the interior door lever that is rattling. Behind the lever is 2 metal balls that just clip into the back of the door lever. One is for the lock the other is for the actual lever itself to open the doors. Apparently it is quite common for these to rattle. Mine rattled quite bad. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it by greasing up the little balls so its no longer metal on metal. Haven't rattled since.

To take off the door trim, there is a screw behind a little plastic panel behind the lever (will be a star head screw...sorry I don't know the correct name for it but its not a phillips head it looks like a star) then there will be two screws in the bottom of the arm rest. Then the screws around the outside of the trim (I think by memory there is 2 on the left side and two/three underneath). Once all these are out you just have to give it a good pull as it will be fairly tight being the first time it's been taken off. Don't be too worried about breaking it, its normal for it to need quite a bit of force to come off.

DougieC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LUMINA SS 6.0
Thanks Josh, I am sure you are correct, it's just behind the lever that I hear the rattle.
I will try again and give it a good pull.

Thanks again.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
No worries Dougie, let me know how you go. I would definitely say that is what is causing the rattle then if you can hear it coming from behind the lever. It is quite an annoying rattle isn't it! Mine was doing it on the drivers side and passenger side doors. The dealer said it is a common problem. They just smeared thick grease over the little balls (sorry don't know the proper term for them) and connected them back up. Has been about 6 months since they did that and haven't heard the rattle since.

buster75

Reaction score
g'day dougie i have an annoying rattle or clunking noise in my ssv too. But I cant pinpoint it. When I have a passenger at the front they think its coming from my side but I here i on theres. Its giving me the ****s. It makes the noise mainly when I turn corners any ideas what it may be? Might check the door handles but dont think thats it.

DougieC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LUMINA SS 6.0
I will have a go at removing the door panel again this weekend, and then post my results. Can't think of what your problem can be buster.

Sometimes you can be caught out with something really stupid. Some time ago I spent more than a week trying to find a very muffled intermittent "bong bong" noise coming from my dash.
I eventually found that I had forgotten a GPS plugged into the lighter socket in the box between the seats. Stupid!!

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Come over to good ol OZ and I will have it off for you in 5secs, perfect excuse for a holiday and cruise ;).. anyway let us know how you go.