Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS MY09 Auto Trans 2nd 3rd Flaring issue. Whats best fix?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
My 2011 SSV has the same issue and i have the deep pan, first to second and second to third is terrible. The shifts are way to harsh also though all gears. Ive taken it to Craigs autos and they told me just to drive it and that there is not to much you can do about it besides a rebuild and even then these boxes are known for flaring from second to third from new. Im really regretting not getting a manual tbh, it ruins an otherwise great car.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Torana355, im hearing you. I bought the auto to be a nice easy cruiser, had plenty of Manuals over the years and just wanted somthing easy. Turns out this things a pain.
What im getting is the 2nd to 3rd flare which so far dosnt seem super prevelant (or swept under the carpet) in Aus. By the looks it, its a well documented known to GM since way back but due to our small market here dosnt look like alot has been done about it.
In the USA however they have these transmissions in everything even 4WD's and its much more known about. Just literally following a trail now on Holden TSB's as to what exactly is the problem part in the Auto.
If i can figure out how to upload pictures im going to Re-do my last post with a couple of pics from the TSB.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Images of seals that need to be replaced to fix issue - From TSB

This first image is the Transmission Pump, it is located behind the bellhousing on the 6L80E. Reference Youtube video links in previous Post for more info on it.
attachment.php

This image is the Seals.. AKA culprit.
attachment.php

Apparently this is the Parts needed, hoever this is a USA TSB so it is likely it may not be correct but a good reference to start if anyone wants to have a crack at this
attachment.php

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
OK - So, this is basically it. The GM known problem with the 2nd to 3rd Flare, the parts required to fix the issue, and the TSB guide. A shame its not to well known about over here in Aus. So basically this was fixed in the Later models from Very late 2008 onwards which i guess was in the MY9.5 update here in Australia?
This TSB came in Version 004A, 004B, 004C, 004D and so on an so forth i think mostly just updating the models and cars affected. Not so much any updates as to the actual issue content.

Valve Body: All Technical Service Bulletins
A/T - Shift Flare/Harsh 2-3 Shifts/Harsh Park To Drive
TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-004C
Date: January 13, 2011

Subject: Flare and/or Harsh 2-3 Shifts, Delayed/Extended or Delayed with Harsh Feel Initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive Shifts (Install Three
Fluid Seal Rings)

Models:
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2008-2009 Chevrolet Suburban
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2008-2009 GMC Yukon XL
2009 GMC Yukon
Equipped with 6L80 (RPO MYC) or 6L90 (RPO MYD) Automatic Transmission
Vehicles Built Prior to December 2008

Attention:
Vehicles built prior to December 2008 are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings. Starting in November 2008, a new 2-piece seal was implemented.
When the transmission pump is removed and a 2-piece seal is found, do not continue on with this bulletin. The guidelines of this bulletin will not apply
to a 2-piece seal.
******************************************************************************************************************
JCCC added additional information: Basically the new 2 peice seal pump shaft is slightly different to the 1 piece design cover
Inspect the fluid seal rings. Transmissions in 2006, 2007, 2008 and early build 2009 models used a 1- piece design seal ring in production. Starting December 2008, a 2-piece seal ring design was implemented. The 1-piece seal ring design may cause a harsh 2-3 shift due to leakage. This is typically a low mileage issue. If the seal rings are a 1-piece design they should be replaced with new 1-piece design seal rings. It is not necessary to replace the pump cover.
Notice:
The clutch fluid seal rings must be installed in a specific way. Failure to install new clutch fluid seal rings in the proper orientation may cause a repeat harsh 2-3 shift. Refer to 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Fluid Seal Ring Installation (6L80/90) in SI for correct installation. If the seals are the 2-piece design shown below, they do not need to be replaced unless they are worn or damaged.

Important:
Do not install 1-piece design seal rings on a 2-piece seal ring design pump cover.

The 2-piece seal ring design pump cover can be identified by the notch in the seal ring grooves that accepts the tab on the 2-piece design seal rings.

*******************************************************************************************************************************
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the models involved and add Condition information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-004B
(Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition
attachment.php

Note
Vehicles built prior to December 2008 are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings. Starting in November 2008, a new 2-piece seal was implemented.
When the transmission pump is removed and a 2-piece seal (1) is found, do not continue on with this bulletin. The guidelines of this bulletin will not
apply to a 2-piece seal.

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:
-Flare or harsh 2-3 shift
-Bump/delay in 2-3 shift
-Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts

Cause
This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings. The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking.
Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts that are more likely to occur when the¬transmission temperature is below approximately 40°C (104°F).

-Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0°C (32°F) to 40°C (104°F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.
-Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% throttle pressure.

Correction

Important
DO NOT replace the transmission control valve body, transmission control module (TCM) or transmission fluid pump cover assembly.

1. Verify the customer's concern with the described conditions above. Then replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings.
2. Remove the transmission assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Transmission Replacement in SI.
3. Remove the transmission oil pan. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid, Fluid Pan and/or Filter Replacement in SI.

Notice
When removing the transmission control valve body, discard the O-ring seals and install new seals, GM P/N 24236927. Failure to install control valve body O-ring seals may cause internal transmission leaks and transmission damage.

4. Remove the transmission control valve body. Refer to Control Valve Body Assembly/Removal in SI.
5. Remove the transmission bell housing / fluid pump. Refer to Torque Converter Housing with Fluid Pump Removal in SI.
attachment.php

Notice
The three clutch fluid seal rings are required to be installed in a specific way. Failure to install new clutch fluid seal rings may cause internal
transmission leaks and transmission damage.

6. Inspect and remove the three clutch fluid seal rings (1). Install new pump rings, GM P/N 24238248. Refer to 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Fluid Seal Ring Installation (6L80/90) in SI for correct installation.
7. After completing the repair procedure, a Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be completed. Refer to Service Fast Learn Adapts in SI for
procedure details. After completing the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure, the vehicle may still experience some minor driveability issues but
should learn improved shifting performance over the next several key cycles and driving time. Review with the customer the facts about the
transmission's ability to self-correct shifting issues or concerns. The transmission adapts are always functional and operate at transmission oil
temperatures about 40°C (104°F).

Parts Information
attachment.php

(Added text version of tables)
Parts Information

Part Number Description

24238248 RING-1-2-3-4 & 3-5 REV CLU (1-piece seal)

24236927 SEAL KIT-A/TRNS SERV (CNTRL SOL VLV ASM)

24219390 SEAL-TURB SHF (O RING)

24224577 SEAL-A/TRNS FLUID PUMP
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time

K9531* R&R of Clutch Fluid Seal Rings (C Truck) 4.8 hrs
R&R of Clutch Fluid Seal Rings (K Truck) 5.4 hrs

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table

Last edited:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Torana355, im hearing you. I bought the auto to be a nice easy cruiser, had plenty of Manuals over the years and just wanted somthing easy. Turns out this things a pain.
What im getting is the 2nd to 3rd flare which so far dosnt seem super prevelant (or swept under the carpet) in Aus. By the looks it, its a well documented known to GM since way back but due to our small market here dosnt look like alot has been done about it.
In the USA however they have these transmissions in everything even 4WD's and its much more known about. Just literally following a trail now on Holden TSB's as to what exactly is the problem part in the Auto.
If i can figure out how to upload pictures im going to Re-do my last post with a couple of pics from the TSB.

Yeah im getting all sorts of issues, if im at say 5-10kph and get back on the gas i can feel the gearbox flair as it changes from 2nd to 1st aswell, its really bad. The first change from 2nd to 3rd in the morning is beyond bad, after that it gets a little better but still unacceptable imo. I also got the auto as its my everyday car and i drive in a fair amount of traffic, honestly i wish i wasn't lazy and just got the manual. Im just going to drive it till the gearbox packs it in completely then get it rebuilt at Craigs Autos.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Unfortunately i think ur beyond the 2nd 3rd flate issue. Unfortunately i think yours sounds knackered. Check the sonax? Link in my previous posts on page 1. It goes over different parts an the problems they cause. But mostly no matter what its a big job to fix almost anything on these transmissions. Even just pulling it out looks painful.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately i think ur beyond the 2nd 3rd flate issue. Unfortunately i think yours sounds knackered. Check the sonax? Link in my previous posts on page 1. It goes over different parts an the problems they cause. But mostly no matter what its a big job to fix almost anything on these transmissions. Even just pulling it out looks painful.

Yeah im afraid your right, but it just keeps on going lol. Its been like this for at least 20k now. At least it gave me time to get 3k together for the rebuild :)

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Might be a long shot but it could be the boost valve in the pump? These wear out alot apparently. But then theres a tonn of other things too, could be the hydraulic switches in the valve body. Hard thing is you only wanna pull it out once. Not easy to get wrong then just try somthing else.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Might be a long shot but it could be the boost valve in the pump? These wear out alot apparently. But then theres a tonn of other things too, could be the hydraulic switches in the valve body. Hard thing is you only wanna pull it out once. Not easy to get wrong then just try somthing else.

Yeah thats why i will wait till it dies and get the thing completely rebuilt. TBH the 3K will be worth it for a smoother driving experience lol

Cole

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SS Storm
Hey mate did you get this issue sorted? I had similar issues with my 2015 VF SS