Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS or VE sv6 ?

boomboombas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 s2
hi guys im in the market for an upgrade of my tired vx 6 cyl wagon , im thinking either sv6 2009 , few good ones around 19 - 22 k , id really like the ss but really cant be stretched past the 25 k mark , there is a few on carsales around the 25 k mark , how many of you guys have an sv6 ? how do you rate them for when you wanna have a bit of a poke ? i will also most likely put what ever i get on lpg so is there much of a difference , price wise in the conversion between the two models ?
i had a vy ss manual a few years back , if i drove the ve ss now would i be impressed , just looking for some feedback guys really excited about gettin a new (2nd hand ) ride appreciate any input thanks .

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
take both for a drive m8, go to a car dealer tho as you dont wanna waste sellers time... are you gonna regret the v8 if u go the sv6 after a few months....does petrol bother you? insurance etc?

alot of things to consider.. do u wanna mod it? doing mods on a v6 is pointless gets you know where, where as the v8 will do wonders

CH3F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
It depends on what exactly you want to achieve mate
I have an SV6 and its not exaclty shy power wise, that said it will never out perform an 8
Write a list of what you want, price, kms, manual, auto, sedan, ute, wagon, will it be a daily driver, do you want massive power, cheap to run, less insurance
There are too many different variables for an outsider to just state one or the other, I'd suggest work out what you want from the car and drive both to see which satisfies the list more

Happy hunting :)

boomboombas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 s2
cheers guys just bought an sv6 2010 series 2 , could of got ss but would have to settle for older and higher ks happy with the sv6 power wise, although nothing really compares to the 8 feeling when your driving one , ill just have to save my pennies for a few years lol.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
cheers guys just bought an sv6 2010 series 2 , could of got ss but would have to settle for older and higher ks happy with the sv6 power wise, although nothing really compares to the 8 feeling when your driving one , ill just have to save my pennies for a few years lol.

The newer 6's still have plenty of poke when you want it, it doesn't have the sound but you"ll be happy with it.

boomboombas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 s2
yea cheers mate i agree plenty of poke for a 6 , along with great fuel economy

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
yea cheers mate i agree plenty of poke for a 6 , along with great fuel economy

It's funny, the new V6's would probly be faster in a straight line than alot of older stock 8's, people just keep gravitating towards the 8's cos they make alot of noise (plus can mod heaps), for me though a new 6 is a bloody good investment.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
The only downside to the new 6's I think is the torque. Needs more and better delivery, 3000rpm is too high I reckon but then again my old car didn't hit the sweet spot till 7500rpm..

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
Arghhhhh
So hard in deciding a new car... I really like the new Z series but looking at either a SV6 or SS.... Z Series just out of my budget but looking at getting a non z series SS or Z series SV6... I can not for the life of me find any pricing on the non Z series SS...:hmmm:

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/sportwagon/range
SS has been taken down :\