Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Rims on a VZ?

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hello I assumed after reading other posts VE wheels can be fitted to older model commodores after machining, in my case a VZ. So I picked up a set of second hand VE SS wheels and brought them home. After holding one up alongside to my car to my dismay I found that the things are much larger in diameter to the regular wheel with tyre. So much so I can't see how the things could possibly fit inside the wheel arch. Is this the case with all VE wheels? Or just the SS rims are larger than normal?
Even if I could squeeze the things on the speedometer would be drastically inaccurate from the larger wheel. I need to know if all VE wheels are like this so I don’t waste any more time or money looking at them. I was originally trying to source a set of 17” SV6 rims but the damn things are hard to find, when do I come across a set they’re always too damaged for my liking.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
VE SS rims are 18" & ur exec rims are 15" so obviously they are going to be larger.
Keeping in mind that VE wheel arches are much bigger than VZ wheel arches hench why they look like they wouldn't fit.

You'll need to find out the roller diameter difference between the two tyre sizes.

Tire size calculator

The above link will tell u.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I should have mentioned I assumed the profile of the tyre is what maintains the rolling diameter of the wheel to be right. I know 18" is bigger than 15" :)
But yeah in saying that the overall diameter of the SS wheels with tyres is significantly larger than a standard wheel.

I'm going to see if I can get a lower profile tyre to fit them but that will start to get costly, at the moment there's 245/45/18's on them, I was thinking maybe 245/40/18's to get the diameter down.

Thing is with that is they're still 245 wide, will that scrape inside the wheel arch of a VZ? Starting to think they're too much trouble to be worth it. If I could just find some damn SV6 17's I’ll be happy.

Edit: PaulSV6, with your calc tool you link, says a set of 245/40/18's should maintain the stock rolling diameter 205/65/15
I'll check out the price on tyres, just need to find somewhere that can machine the wheels to fit, center hub is the area that needs to be machined larger?

Last edited:

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
surely 245 will fit inside the vz guards the vz hsv's must run 245's stock? on 19inch?

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
245'S will fit but you'll need 245/40/R18 instead of 245/45/R18

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yep sorting all that out now, there's a place that does the machining ive found, overpriced in my opinion though at $45 per wheel plus GST so $50 ea $200 for 4.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
surely 245 will fit inside the vz guards the vz hsv's must run 245's stock? on 19inch?

i have 245's on 19" rims and they do not fit on inside my rear arches (vz ss)..

about 10mm on outside of each tyre is shredded from rubbing. i just went back to original 18" ss wheels because the noise is a pain in the ass

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i have 245's on 19" rims and they do not fit on inside my rear arches (vz ss)..

about 10mm on outside of each tyre is shredded from rubbing. i just went back to original 18" ss wheels because the noise is a pain in the ass

Ouch, that's what im worried about with the 18's, i dont want any rubbing at all when turning or going over bumps.

Car is on Kings lows now, that with the 245 tyres and 18x8 rims i hope i dont get any issues, if so i'll have to raise the car back up on factory springs.

Bowden62

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive
hey mate how are ya?

i've got a vz exec 05 aswell. i bought a set of ve ss wheels the 245/45/18's and i did the 'machining' myself. literally all i did was buy a file from bunnings and sat in my lounge room with each tyre for about an hour just filing the alloy hub down from the centre of the rim. they look pretty nice on it. i am getting my car lowered for chrissy so hopefully i wont have any problems with the guards rubbings but yeah i'll roll them myself and all that. if you have any more questions about the fittings or whatever i'd be happy to help if i can.

cheers man, good luck with it.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I would strongly advise against filing them yourself, the center hub has to be PERFECT in shape and diameter or the wheel will not sit properly giving you balancing and support problems. This is normally done by a lathe of some sort that is adjustable down to .5mm as the hole needs to be .5 fraction.

If the wheel center hub has any movement or gap it won't fit perfectly on the car's hub then the load and weight of the car will be resting on the nut lugs instead, that is why people with poorly machine wheels are getting snapped wheel bolts which can cause a serious accident, not to mention insurance void after inspection. You also have to make sure you use the proper Holden wide 12mm nuts that have FULL clamping surface area on the VE wheel. Not the chrome after market ones you can buy.

If my opinion getting VE wheels to fit correctly is not worth the trouble and money.