Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV rims to black

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Paint or powder coat would both scratch & look like **** after scraping a gutter.

Either way, you could touch it up with some paint..

Anything looks like **** after being scraped in a gutter.

Poisonivybabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks guys
I'm still looking at all three options- paint, dipping and powder coating.. I don't have a good history with mags.. Thinking the toughest option is probably the best.
@ lease1-- was that price in Perth?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I've always had my wheels powder coated. In Sydney, I used a place call Mr Clean which is at Padstow. Cost was around the $85.00 per wheel (Based on 18's). I would imagine cost are likely to be higher now, but they do a good job.

Thing to remember about powder coating is that "gloss" is not the same as what you get with paint. Personally, I'd be going a Dulux powder colour call Onyx Pearl Black. It's a good thing, trust me :D

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hey guys, I'm a new chick to the forums. Just bought myself a 2009 poison ivy SSV. The problem is that I have spent my savings but I really want to change the rims to black. Is there a way I can paint them or does anyone know where I can get them powder coated black for a good price in Perth?
Any info greatly appreciated.

PoisonIvyBabe

I would go for a powder coat over paint. Bear in mind that if you are going to be scraping your wheels on gutters and the like the paint damage is going to look tacky whatever black finish you use. No paint/powder coat job will withstand scraping on gutters regardless of what it is.

For a good job you are going to have to take the wheels back to bare metal before refinishing and this can be done by all competent powder coaters / painters

Here are a couple of items you might like to read up on that I looked up some weeks back.
Painting vs Powdercoating wheels - Page 2 - Australian Ford Forums
Stripco - Sandblasting, painting & powdercoating

SSUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have a good mate who sprays rims for weekend cashys.
he is doing mine this weekend (black) i can post some pics up after if you like.
$100 - $150 per rim depending on size/style.

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
I would think powder coating will give a much more glossy finish and will be thicker than painted coatings however depending on the type of paint you use, you could also get an excellent finish also.

I would get some sort of vinyl layer or plastic dipped done over the top of a powder coated or painted finish so it has an extra layer of colour underneath should the scuff be minor. if its major however, forget every coating, its gonna expose metal. :(

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Powdercoating on cost alone should sway your decision

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Plasti dip Matt black I'm keen to try. Anyone else had success with this