Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Ute Headlight Bulb Replacement

QTG87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV Ute
Hi Guys,

New to the forum :) Just picked up a 2012 SSV Ute over the weekend and bought some new bulbs for the headlights (standard ones were a bit shocking) - these are for the normal night driving lights (low beams) - the High Beams seem pretty easy to get to.

Done a bit of research and it seems pretty divided when it comes to replacing them - is it really easier to the remove the Front Bar to do this, or can it be done relatively easy by removing the standard Air Box and Battery for either side?

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Its a pain in the ass to remove the front bumper IMO so i would remove the air box on the right side and i was able to access the left side was just a tight squeeze

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
G'day, I have a sedan, rather than a ute, so I can't speak about the confinement question, from my own experience.
But, if you're using H7 bulbs, please remember that they can go in upside down, which will cause a lot of difficulties, until you realize that that's what you've done.

QTG87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV Ute
Managed to do it all in under half an hour - without removing the front bar, and I don't exactly have little lady hands either.

Put the new bulbs in the exact same way the old ones came out - loving the look of them and the light output :) Looks much better!

Thanks for the input guys!

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
it can be done quite easily without taking off front bumpers, but expect your hands to get a few small cuts on then!

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
Managed to do it all in under half an hour - without removing the front bar, and I don't exactly have little lady hands either.

Put the new bulbs in the exact same way the old ones came out - loving the look of them and the light output :) Looks much better!

Thanks for the input guys!

What sort of Globes did you end up putting in , I agree that the standard Low beam lights are pretty bad for night driving.

QTG87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV Ute
I ended up going for the Narva Intense (plus 30) - because I wanted more of a whiter light output rather than the most distance (they're still plenty more powerful than the standard bulbs, I had them in my FG F6 and couldn't fault them at all). Plus they're ADR Approved :p

From memory they were on special, $59 for the set from AutoBarn. Definitely worth a try if anyone is looking to change but doesn't want to spend $149 on Philips Crystal Visions (which aren't ADR approved apparently).

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Done a bit of research and it seems pretty divided when it comes to replacing them - is it really easier to the remove the Front Bar to do this, or can it be done relatively easy by removing the standard Air Box and Battery for either side?

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

Don't pay too much attention to your research, the battery is behind the passenger seat.