Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Steering Wheel Airbag Removal

dino_w0

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Hah, found it, when you turn the wheel 90 degrees, there's an access whole at the back of the wheel cover, insert short fat flat blade screw driver and twist, presto one side off, repeat other side, walla. As with all airbags, I did remember to disconnect the battery and leave for a few mintes before playing. 2 plugs in back of airbag, squeeze lug to remove. Now it's off to tool shop to get torx head to remove steering wheel tomorrow. Thanks.
hi there.
i used these deails to get the airbag off also ! cheers for that, but i just want to know how difficult it was to get the old wheel off. it felt like i was about to snap the bolt off !!!!!!! also my wheel from ebay is missing parts so my holden dealer tells me. do you know where i might get the carbon spoke covers apart from the dealer ?

HOLDON tight!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubby
Carbon fibre spokes

hi there.
i used these deails to get the airbag off also ! cheers for that, but i just want to know how difficult it was to get the old wheel off. it felt like i was about to snap the bolt off !!!!!!! also my wheel from ebay is missing parts so my holden dealer tells me. do you know where i might get the carbon spoke covers apart from the dealer ?

A bit late to rely but....

Try Dash Design Dash Design
On their specials you'll find the spokes for $100 (cheaper than the other suppliers I found)

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
hi there.

Spokes from a dealer just cost me $38 so I thought that was pretty reasonable

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
So....How DO you get the spoke covers off?? Do they clip in around the controls or anything??

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Remember, if you are replacing the Steering Wheel. it must comply with ADR (Australian Design Rules), have the appropriate certification markings and not be less than 330mm diameter. This is a South Australian reference to Steering Modifications however it also conforms to ALL ADR requirements https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transp...ards-and-modifications/steering-modifications

Have a read of the following:

Steering wheels are designed to minimise injury to the driver during a vehicle accident.

When replacing a steering wheel make sure that the new steering wheel complies with Australian Design Rule (ADR) requirements.

Replacement steering wheels must not be less than 330 mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel must be of similar design.

A non-standard aftermarket steering wheel may be fitted to passenger cars and derivatives manufactured prior to 1971. When selecting a replacement steering wheel ensure that it is firmly padded and is constructed so that it will bend on impact without splintering or cracking, and that no parts of the wheel are loose or cracked.

Passenger vehicles built after 1970 are required to comply with ADR 10. The replacement steering wheel must have the appropriate markings indicating that it complies with ADR 10. There are a number of steering wheels certified to ADR 10, so before purchasing an aftermarket steering wheel contact Vehicle Standards to ensure that it is acceptable.

Passenger vehicles manufactured after June 1995, which are required to comply with ADR 69 (full frontal impact occupant protection), they may only be fitted with steering wheels certified by the vehicle manufacturer as suitable for that vehicle.

For example, if your vehicle has an air bag steering wheel as standard, the replacement must be the same. Fitting an aftermarket steering wheel to a vehicle that has an airbag in the original steering wheel is not acceptable.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
So....How DO you get the spoke covers off?? Do they clip in around the controls or anything??

Today's posted question^^^^

Retards answer that isn't useful, doesn't answer the question and is just trolling......

Remember, if you are replacing the Steering Wheel. it must comply with ADR (Australian Design Rules), have the appropriate certification markings and not be less than 330mm diameter. This is a South Australian reference to Steering Modifications however it also conforms to ALL ADR requirements https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transp...ards-and-modifications/steering-modifications

Have a read of the following:

Steering wheels are designed to minimise injury to the driver during a vehicle accident.

When replacing a steering wheel make sure that the new steering wheel complies with Australian Design Rule (ADR) requirements.

Replacement steering wheels must not be less than 330 mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel must be of similar design.

A non-standard aftermarket steering wheel may be fitted to passenger cars and derivatives manufactured prior to 1971. When selecting a replacement steering wheel ensure that it is firmly padded and is constructed so that it will bend on impact without splintering or cracking, and that no parts of the wheel are loose or cracked.

Passenger vehicles built after 1970 are required to comply with ADR 10. The replacement steering wheel must have the appropriate markings indicating that it complies with ADR 10. There are a number of steering wheels certified to ADR 10, so before purchasing an aftermarket steering wheel contact Vehicle Standards to ensure that it is acceptable.

Passenger vehicles manufactured after June 1995, which are required to comply with ADR 69 (full frontal impact occupant protection), they may only be fitted with steering wheels certified by the vehicle manufacturer as suitable for that vehicle.

For example, if your vehicle has an air bag steering wheel as standard, the replacement must be the same. Fitting an aftermarket steering wheel to a vehicle that has an airbag in the original steering wheel is not acceptable.

Anyone remember Rufus?? Didn't he get deleted for doing this???

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
All sorted...once screw on back done the whole switch block and spoke cover just wiggles off by wiggling and pulling it off....

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
All done replaced and no air bag light once reconnected and fuse put back in...had battery connected whole time so not necessary to disconnect...t50 fits properly and 45 loosr and will round out the centre bolt. Pretty straight forward so long as you don't stress or rush... :) yeah I don't know what adrs has to do with factory to factory replacement SS to SSV wheel changeover.... ;)

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon