Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Buying Guide Help

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Im looking at buying a VE Commodore SV6 Manual (Series 1 as series 2 is out of my budget), My budget is around 7-8k. So far i've seen them with around 200xxx kms. How many km's do you guys reckon would be suitable for purchase. Also what are somethings I should look out for when i'm looking at one (Common faults). Im currently driving a modified VS Calais and i'm over the amount of problems that i've had with it. Im currently in my final months of year 12 and have no time to focus on fixing and modifying cars. Im just in the market for a reliable car that i'm going to keep stock while I begin uni and while on my P's. After that ill be looking at buying a real beast ahaha. Thanks in advance!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
A series one VE with 200XXX on it for 7 to 8K will need an absolute immaculate service history using the absolutely correct synthetic 5-30 oil.

R

Risky

Just looking at carsales online, there's quite a number of VE's. Without knowing your location it's hard to narrow it down.

As gossie said, one with immaculate service history is number 1. Some of these VE's may have had a rough life as a company car or a rental car. Bodywise, check for scratches dings, repairs. Interior, make sure everything's there & it works. Seats may have sagged & scratches on interior plastics but that's nothing. Electronics, again make sure they work. Engine & transmission, good service history helps. Make sure there's no leaks anywhere, no worn out parts like rubbers etc, tie rods. Tyres & rims, make sure the tyres are evenly worn & make sure the rims have had no arguments with gutters.

It may take a while to find the VE you want depending where you live but if there's one a little further that looks good, go & see it.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Check if there is a Service History and Ask if the Timing Chains/Tensioners were done recently, if their answer is haizy and have no proof of it being done i would walk away from it, unless you are in a position to get them replaced in the future roughly 2-3k job depending where you go. Unless you get mechanical warranty through a car yard maybe they will pay for the job if it happens during your warranty period

Then your usual look over the engine / suspension for leaks etc.

If you really can i would go with a SIDI series 2 sv6.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Service history is the main one. Cosmetic stuff can be fixed relatively easily. Check if the timing chains have been done as Xplaya mentioned, you'll be up for around $3k if you need to do it.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
Well I wish you luck, my VE has 150k on the clock and so far the timing chains stretched, alternator and starter motor died, power steering pump needs replacing and now it's started pissing oil out of where the trans lines join the radiator which is hilariously only held in by a circlip and my trustworthy mechanic tells me the radiator has to be replaced to fix it.

Maybe my car is a dud but it wears out faster than a gorgeous hooker IMO.

Xageer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 Series II SV6 Manual
see if you can stretch and get an MY10 Series I. they have the Series II SIDI engine, but can sometimes be found for not much more than a normal series I. there are some 2009's that were MY10's. so see if you can find one of those.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Well I wish you luck, my VE has 150k on the clock and so far the timing chains stretched, alternator and starter motor died, power steering pump needs replacing and now it's started pissing oil out of where the trans lines join the radiator which is hilariously only held in by a circlip and my trustworthy mechanic tells me the radiator has to be replaced to fix it.

Maybe my car is a dud but it wears out faster than a gorgeous hooker IMO.

My 2008 gives me the same feels althought hasnt got as far as yours yet.
If i had the chance to go back and have my $ in hand, I would definately look longer towards a VE2 or SS

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Im looking at buying a VE Commodore SV6 Manual (Series 1 as series 2 is out of my budget), My budget is around 7-8k. So far i've seen them with around 200xxx kms. How many km's do you guys reckon would be suitable for purchase. Also what are somethings I should look out for when i'm looking at one (Common faults). Im currently driving a modified VS Calais and i'm over the amount of problems that i've had with it. Im currently in my final months of year 12 and have no time to focus on fixing and modifying cars. Im just in the market for a reliable car that i'm going to keep stock while I begin uni and while on my P's. After that ill be looking at buying a real beast ahaha. Thanks in advance!

Don't be completely scared off by high mileage / less-than perfect service history. I have a series 1 WM which has the SV6 running gear. I bought it at 190k and it's now got 242k and I haven't spent a cent or had an issue. Doesn't use oil and gets the exact same fuel economy it did 50,000k ago. Its service history was average when I bought it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Thanks guys for all your responses, Im located in Sydney. Im not to fussed with exterior issue or interior as they can be changed easily. Im just worried about trans/motor issues. Im quite mechanically minded but I just couldn't be bothered fixing a car with motor or major issues..Ive read its a completely different engine compared to an ecotec or an L67 so I wouldn't really know what i'm looking at and would have to completely learn a new platform/setup. If its cosmetic I dont have a problem at all as 90% of the time its an easy fix. So from what ive read from your responses it doesnt really matter about mileage as long as its got a solid mechanical history and doesnt have major problems..Thanks everyone