Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve sv6 exhaust question!

Ts-ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Ok, Im knew to this forum so plz excuse any mistakes I make.
So i have recently purchased an 07 ve sv6. Love it to bits but the exhuast sounds terrible! The sound reminds me of a hyundai excel with a canon on it..not cool! Ive been told its "straight through pipe no mufflers" so im wondering if any1 can offer some advise on exhaust systems, or mufflers or what i can do with an sv6 to make it sound better! I still want it to be loud and sound good but still legal as i drive it everyday and live in a town full of police just waiting to defect what they can! any advise would be greatly appreciated as Im still learning as this is my 1st car Ive done any work! :)
Thanks so much!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Get a V8.....

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
I'd put the stock system on it. Or an ss system so it has the quad tips.
Make it quiet.
6's with an exhaust sound like crap in my opinion.

I'd spend the money else where, like on visual stuff. (Lowering, wheels etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As above, put V8 mufflers on it, makes it a bit deeper with no drone. Don't use AFM mufflers though, as they are jsut as quiet as the V6 ones.

Gixman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 Series 2
Will a VF SS-V Redline sedan exhaust from cat back fit 2010 VE Wagon V6 wagon?

And what's this AFM thing you all speak of?

Xageer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 Series II SV6 Manual
Will a VF SS-V Redline sedan exhaust from cat back fit 2010 VE Wagon V6 wagon?

And what's this AFM thing you all speak of?

yep that should fit, sedan and wagons exhausts are the same, the utes different with hanging points and tips are a bit longer from memory.

AFM stands for active fuel management, was a feature on the V8's after 2010ish?, that would disable half the cylinders for better fuel economy, basically the mufflers cars with AFM are different to the ones without, the non AFM ones are more desirable. The VF you mentioned would have AFM if its a series I

EDIT: also, AFM only came out of auto's, so a VF could have the non AFM muffler if its a manual, but I dont believe any VF wagons were released in manual

Last edited:

Gixman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 Series 2
yep that should fit, sedan and wagons exhausts are the same, the utes different with hanging points and tips are a bit longer from memory.

AFM stands for active fuel management, was a feature on the V8's after 2010ish?, that would disable half the cylinders for better fuel economy, basically the mufflers cars with AFM are different to the ones without, the non AFM ones are more desirable. The VF you mentioned would have AFM if its a series I

EDIT: also, AFM only came out of auto's, so a VF could have the non AFM muffler if its a manual, but I dont believe any VF wagons were released in manual

Great info and thanks for explaining it.

Regardless of AFM, does that cause any issues if it's an AFM exhaust or non AFM exhaust when installed on a SV6? Why are non AFM more desirable?

At this point with all the info I have found I just want to install the twin tip rear muffler boxes. Slight sound change and astheticslly pleasing

Xageer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 Series II SV6 Manual
Great info and thanks for explaining it.

Regardless of AFM, does that cause any issues if it's an AFM exhaust or non AFM exhaust when installed on a SV6? Why are non AFM more desirable?

At this point with all the info I have found I just want to install the twin tip rear muffler boxes. Slight sound change and astheticslly pleasing

wont cause you any issues, AFM ones are just more restrictive, whereas non AFMs are less restrictive and will give you a slightly louder sound, both will bolt up and work fine no worries though

Gixman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 Series 2
Champion! Clear and concise info for us newbies!

Thanks!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The way to tell the difference is the AFM mufflers have a single outlet with twin tips and the non AFM mufflers have twin outlets.