Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Thunder Ute Tapping

Matthew Dilkes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Good Afternoon Everyone,

First time user, thanks for the add. Just moved to the ACT from the NT.

I have concerns with my 2012 SV6 Ute.

Recently I completed a drive from the NT to the ACT and since then the tapping noise from the engine, which I've always suspected to be the high pressure fuel pump, as it has happened since purchase and the dealer told me that. It has become some what more pronounced since the long drive (With a trailer) and I'm concerned that the fuel pump now might be on the way out?

Another issue that has just started is the ABS and traction control engaged when I was driving down a mountain road (bells line) with no obvious reason. It happened several times locking either my front left wheel or rear right. Has not happened since.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding these issues?

Kind Regards

Matt

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Tapping noise will be valve train related see my thread re: lifter addititive, the fuel pump is in the fuel tank so you wouldn't be able to here noise in the engine bay if the fuel pump was noisey... Those quad cam v6s are known for sluding up (oil) how frequently do u change ur oil and what grade of oil are you using? As for the abs thing sorry mate I don't know hopefully someone else will chime in

Matthew Dilkes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Tapping noise will be valve train related see my thread re: lifter addititive, the fuel pump is in the fuel tank so you wouldn't be able to here noise in the engine bay if the fuel pump was noisey... Those quad cam v6s are known for sluding up (oil) how frequently do u change ur oil and what grade of oil are you using? As for the abs thing sorry mate I don't know hopefully someone else will chime in

Thanks for the response mate.

I change the oil at a maximum interval of 15000kms or 9 months. I use Penrite 5w-40 (zinc additive). The noise has happened since purchase.

I had a look at your previous thread. Your concern was when cold engine, mine happens all the time. Does this make a difference?

Regards

Matt

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Could be your fuel pump as advised by dealer. They have more of cricket type noise (different to top end lifter noise). The sidi v6 has the high pressure pump at the back of the motor on the passenger side.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I’d switch to every 7500. KM , the Sidi V6 are prone to carbon build up , plus the Alloytecs are sludge monsters , after a long trip like you did I’d change the oil as well

Matthew Dilkes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Could be your fuel pump as advised by dealer. They have more of cricket type noise (different to top end lifter noise). The sidi v6 has the high pressure pump at the back of the motor on the passenger side.

Thanks. Is there a reason it would now be louder? Im suspecting crappy fuel, I put the best on offer throughout the guts of Australia, but you know how it is.

Matthew Dilkes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
I’d switch to every 7500. KM , the Sidi V6 are prone to carbon build up , plus the Alloytecs are sludge monsters , after a long trip like you did I’d change the oil as well

Ok thanks. Noted. I will change the oil ASAP then. I'll also do the lifter free up additive too. See how it goes.

Would anyone be concerned by the noise? No issues with performance.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Ok thanks. Noted. I will change the oil ASAP then. I'll also do the lifter free up additive too. See how it goes.

Would anyone be concerned by the noise? No issues with performance.
Id be doing as u said change oil asap you can get oil flushes that break down sludge and crap but in the case of those sidi engines I'd be very weary about using them due to it might loosen up some sludge and cause blockages and make everything much worse... If the noise is getting louder than yes I would be worried

Matthew Dilkes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Id be doing as u said change oil asap you can get oil flushes that break down sludge and crap but in the case of those sidi engines I'd be very weary about using them due to it might loosen up some sludge and cause blockages and make everything much worse... If the noise is getting louder than yes I would be worried

I've been on the Nulon website. I feel it's related to the fuel I've been forced to use on the trip. I'm going to immediately add some fuel additives to the tank and see if I can clean any crap that may have developed in the lines etc.

H

harrop.senator

If you're going to oil flush it diesel does the same job. Pending how bad the sludge is can make things worse. Mrs 89k old hyundai when I brought it had crap under the cap gave it a flush n did the timing belt n service. Two days later sent it back to work and had to pull rocker covers off full sump and pick up off and had to hand scrub and clean it .... Twice. And had to Diesel flush it every 5k service since as lifters are a bit noisy on start up ever since the initial flush lol.