Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Torque Converter

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We've had a miss in the Series 1 V6 VE Calais V (with a 5 speed auto) for a while.
Started as an intermittent miss on starting cold.
Then it stopped that and became an intermittent miss once warmed up.
Two technicians could not pick it.
The car was never warmed up enough though.
It only happened in the 1500-2000 rev range going on throttle or coming off.

It was a hard miss.
No codes were being logged.
Freeway cruising was most noticeable.

From what I've learnt of torque converter issues, they normally present a little more like driving over a cattle grid, where as ours was 2 or 3 hard misses but more as a hard single shudder one after the other.
The miss was harder than a misfire from say a faulty coil.

We have had a few issues to resolve with this car.
This bug didn't seem high on the list.

Then reversing, it went out of gear and revved out.
Switched car off and on again, all good, gears engaged and off we went.

Things settled a bit. We used the car as little as possible.

Wife called me.
She had broken down all together.
Car gave out in an intersection.
It was revving with little to no forward movement.
Someone pushed the car off the road for her.

When I got there, it was being loaded onto the tilt tray.

Took a while for a long trusted mechanic to look at it.
His verdict after consulting a transmission expert he bumps ideas off, "The gear box is now cactus."

The Torque converter had given out, damaged the pump, which in turn may have done more damage further down the line.
So rather than bodging it up, he felt it was more professional to put a freshly rebuilt gear box in.

The failing clutch was grabbing in spurts rather than creating a vibrating shudder like going over a cattle grid.

Interestingly, for most of the time we've owned the car, when it's in Sports Mode, it all most compression skids when changing down in the lower gears.
Is that common with them?

This might help someone having a similar issue and help get it looked at earlier for them.

ScottNZ81

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Sportwagon 3.6L LY7 6G1
We've had a miss in the Series 1 V6 VE Calais V (with a 5 speed auto) for a while.

It was a hard miss.

From what I've learnt of torque converter issues, they normally present a little more like driving over a cattle grid, where as ours was 2 or 3 hard misses but more as a hard single shudder one after the other.

Wife called me.

His verdict after consulting a transmission expert he bumps ideas off, "The gear box is now cactus."

The Torque converter had given out, damaged the pump, which in turn may have done more damage further down the line.
So rather than bodging it up, he felt it was more professional to put a freshly rebuilt gear box in.

The failing clutch was grabbing in spurts rather than creating a vibrating shudder like going over a cattle grid.

Interestingly, for most of the time we've owned the car, when it's in Sports Mode, it all most compression skids when changing down in the lower gears.

This might help someone having a similar issue and help get it looked at earlier for them.

Damn that sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing with mine, I was thinking ignition problems and am in the process of swapping out the coils to rule them out. Is there a relatively easy way I can test the car myself for a torque converter fault?

ScottNZ81

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Sportwagon 3.6L LY7 6G1
So, does anyone know if it is ok to do a stall-speed test on a V6 2008 ve sportwagon?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Damn that sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing with mine, I was thinking ignition problems and am in the process of swapping out the coils to rule them out. Is there a relatively easy way I can test the car myself for a torque converter fault?
I'm not certain that it can.
Our car was not logging any faults with this.
Misfires will be logged.

It was diagnosed by me to some extent thanks to the tonnes of info on here. So then I was able to take it to our mechanic, who is a family friend and well trusted, was independently diagnosed by the mechanic, who then got the car to an Transmission technician to confirm the diagnosis. He was also able to diagnose the other failures in the transmission caused by the failed torque converter.

I guess, do a trans service. There's some good how to's on here or get a transmission place to do the job. Get it checked sooner, rather than later. If it fails, you could need a new gear box and the cost of that hurt our family in a big way.

Cruisy2650

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vz 2005 omega v6 alloytec

It was a hard miss.

Wife called me.

hi all no idea how to start a thread
but can someone help me with VE Holden transmission
has had several flushes lever is perfect
car will drive after awhile car just revs and will not drive
pull over 2-3minutes later start car it will drive again for a couple kms then same thing again
any suggestions or help please

Cruisy2650

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vz 2005 omega v6 alloytec
fluid level is perfect i meant
was up to Temp car running and filled till it drip out filler hole and waited for it to stop

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
fluid level is perfect i meant
was up to Temp car running and filled till it drip out filler hole and waited for it to stop
You doing it half right. When the oil dripping out, close the hole, lift the car up, all wheels off the ground, start the car, put it in drive, open the hole pump more oil in when dripping out again then close it. We r running 15 Falcons as cabs, this is how we service 6 speed trans. also my own 07 Dual Fuel Omega. Just did 2000klms.round trip to Wollongong NSW and back to Cranbourne. No problem whatsoever.. (touch wood)

Also, after fitting twin exhaust (from SV6) car achieved 10.8 klms/litre. (On LPG) On Hume Hwy. In the stop go city driving I get 7.2 to 7.8 klms/litre. So, I strongly recommend this particular mod. to anyone who's interested.

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Also, after fitting twin exhaust (from SV6) car achieved 10.8 klms/litre. (On LPG) On Hume Hwy. In the stop go city driving I get 7.2 to 7.8 klms/litre. So, I strongly recommend this particular mod. to anyone who's interested.
I've done the SS exhaust to 2 dual fuelers now and extra 50kms a tank on LPG, odd it makes such a difference but worth it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi all no idea how to start a thread
but can someone help me with VE Holden transmission
has had several flushes lever is perfect
car will drive after awhile car just revs and will not drive
pull over 2-3minutes later start car it will drive again for a couple kms then same thing again
any suggestions or help please
That is exactly what started happening with ours. reversing out of a drive once, it did it. then nothing for ages. Then it did it again and again, becoming more frequent.

That was one part of our transmission failure. The other, of course, was the torque converter.