Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Transmission Cooler and OTR CAI

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
I picked up a factory transmission cooler with plumbing for my VE which sits behind the grill.
I looked at installing it, but from what I can see it would sit in front of where an OTR CAI would be, heating the air and restricting flow.

1) Has anyone moved the factory transmission cooler to the lower opening?

2) Are there any after market transmission coolers which sit in the lower opening?

3) Are there decent alternatives to an OTR CAI?

Thanks, Nick

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Don't know the answer to your question, but that seems weird to have a trans cooler so high up, most of the time they are quite low in front of the radiator near the bottom.

No saying you or it is wrong just weird. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a lower spot to mount one.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
The factory cooler that I have mounts directly behind the grill as in the diagram.
139949d1335370992t-trans-cooler-tranny-cooler.jpg

OTR would suck hot constricted air.

Is a K&N filter in a stock air box a decent alternative?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The factory cooler that I have mounts directly behind the grill as in the diagram.
139949d1335370992t-trans-cooler-tranny-cooler.jpg

OTR would suck hot constricted air.

Is a K&N filter in a stock air box a decent alternative?

This won't give you anywhere near the same results.

I'd ask a trans place about fitting an aftermarket cooler elsewhere.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Trans cooler should still be mounted below the top of the rad, there's all the OEM fascia which would have to cover it. I wouldn't be worried about heat from a Trans cooler when compare to the heat off the rad which know one is concerned with (in general)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I bought a ramjet and had the same issue....... ended up breaking mine getting the shits with it lol........ so i went out and bought a new generic one and mounted in the bottom area and just rigged the pipes down there....... pain to mount.

I made up a metal rod to attached the top of the cooler to the bumper area and zip tied the bottom two holes to the plastic below, not the best but that was years ago now and i have never had an issue..... I only wise I had been bothered to re route the pipes from the connectors near the engine...... but stuff that.......