Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute 2008 Ser 1 Rim and tyre headaches

Gyppers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
I got a VE ute that I actually use to cart stuff around in.Sure the donk has been molested,and I got the latest Alpine system in it,and a few other things,but my problem is where I live is where all the pot holes on the planet go to retire.Shattered rims and cut tyres are a part of life that I am over.
What I want to do is put on a set of 4x4 rims and tyres,or something,that will give me some distance from the crown of the tyre to the rim,that will take a bit of a blow without self destructing.Obviously they will have to clear the calipers,and the tyre OD will have to be close(and some fat ones would e nice).
Has any one got any ideas or heard of any swaps done,I would like to hear them,as ebay is running out of VE SSV Ute rims.Cheers guys.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
What you really need is a more suitable vehicle with tough wheels and heavy duty off road quality tyres that will not die from hitting 10 pot holes.

What you have is largely a boulevard cruiser for the tradesman - posing as a tough commercial vehicle, which it is not.

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i'll sell you 4x19" SSV rims for $24k and throw a SSV sedan in for good measure :)

but seriously, what size rims are you running? and what is the smallest that will fit over the brakes? would 16" or 17" with bigger sidewalls in the tyres fit on the car?

Last edited:

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Mate I can't say I have the exact same problem but I drive on alot of rough roads so I've been considering the switch to 17" rims.
I think that's the smallest option to clear stock SS brakes.

Gyppers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
Yeah Timbo and Brenno,Im running STD SSV ute rims and tyres.I only run those Achillies tyres as the Potenzas cost to much with the amount of times I replace them.17" rims may be the go do you think guys.Do you know which ones would for sure clear the calipers,how wide I can go,or what model rim will have same stud pattern ect.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Your best bet is to go to a rim and tyre shop and pick one from the catalogue.. They'll tell you whether it fits and can order tyres so you get the same rolling diameter..

I was originally talking to Taleb Tyres in Sydney.. He had a few options in 17's that were suitable.. Good prices and freight to my door was about 20 per rim/tyre.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
You must have some pretty crazy pot holes! From my experience, if you've got rough roads (Or sh!t roads in this case) to deal with, as long as you're running a 45 profile tyre which isn't over inflated (Approx 36 PSI all round) then you "should" be ok.

Going down to a 17 inch is also a good idea, in fact I know a few Subaru guys who have done that with the Liberty's to cope with some of the rubbish country roads they deal with on a regular basis.