Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V Check Engine help needed

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
Hey guys.

A few weeks ago, my check engine light came on. I've noticed a lack in responsiveness and power, slight sputtering on occasion, a slight odour (could be fuel). The light went off when the tank was filled above half the first two times but the power was still a little iffy. Yesterday, an X appeared on the dash and told me to contact the dealer.

I'm thinking it's just dirty injectors, but could it be anything else? And can anyone recommend the best (and cheapest) way of getting it fixed?

Thanks heaps

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Buy a cheap obd2 scanner of ebay. May or may not have the correct codes for your vehicle. Failing that, take it to your local mech. Don't believe there is a flash code system in the newer commodores.

igo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Series II
May be timing chain issue - some MY06 3.6L V6 engines suffered from stretched (or loose) timing chains, or something to do with the fit of the chains to the drive teeth

It happened to my MY06 Calais at approx 75000k - the 3 chains were replaced. Fault and check engine warning was intermittent at first but became permanent over about 500k - didn't much notice the power drop until it was repaired then the car had a lot more get up and go

suggest that you get it checked - good luck with it as it isn't a cheap fix unless the General comes to the party as they did with mine