Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke wagon from auction.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Hi there, I'm planning on buying an Evoke wagon from Auction. 2013-2014 model. Will be purchasing a Government fleet car to bang around Aus towing my Jayco pop top. It is only a baby so the Evoke will not even know it's on the back.
I've been scoping these Evokes out for over a year at Auction and they are pulling between 12 K To 14 K depending on mileage of course. I'm looking at between 100 to 130 K on the clock so expect to pay around 13 or less K.
My question is this. Am i going to be up for any major service costs on a vehicle with these KLM. ? I may just use it for this road trip and sell it when i get back so I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle that has had the main maintenance schedules done. Also any surprises i could expect from this vehicle regards running issues.
DSC00370.JPG

Thanks for any feed back.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Just one other point. I'm reading about possible timing chain replacement . Is this bolliks or what ?

Ta.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
service history a must with alloytecs so many failures due to poor oil change intervals.

Personally the 3L engine is a bit gutless for towing i'd try for a sv6 with 3.6l

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
^
Thanks very much.
For sure service history is a must and all Government cars have it usually. The VF Evoke is a a dam nice car for touring and has some very good standard options. That touch screen is a killer and the over all solidness of the build is quite impressive. For a off the shelf Holden bread and butter car it's a beauty in my books and extremely well priced when new. Done a lot of research on this vehicle and can't find any thing nasty or unusual popping up .

37 K new so 13 K now is a screaming bargain in my books.
Great thing about these Fleet cars is they depreciate rapidly, that's great news for bargain hunters like me and with a bit of luck i may just be able to sell it for the same coin i paid for it in 12 months time. Not easy to find one with a tow bar though and at 850 buks to fit one I'm looking hard.

The fleet cars that come with tow bars have a factory fitted tow pack. Hard to find one. Only seen a couple.
Back to the auctions and keep lookin, no hurry. Time is my friend.

Regards the 3l being a bit gutless have a look at my van, ya could tow it with a lawn mower .

Ta. :D

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I was under the impression timing chains aren't an issue with the 3.0 litre engines anyway.
You're right about them being a bargain. I'm looking at buying one to use as a commuter and save the Redline for the weekend. About 18/19k from a dealer with 40k kms on the clock where I live.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
if it's done low ks and in good condition , been serviced on time ect buy it , the 3.0L engine while not bursting with power would tow the liteweight pop top easily. something to look into re timing chains, but even so you can get the chains replaced for around $1500 drive in out
looks like a good van to tow light weight and little to no wind resistance.
hope its all works out ok and you have a good trip cheers mate

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
note that the whole "every holden built since 1948 is capped price servicing" does not apply to ex fleet vehicles.
so if you are getting it serviced by holden the capped prices don't apply.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
The only time I would go near a Holden service centre is when a car is getting done for free under warranty. Besides that they would be the last place on Earth I'd send my Motor. OK if ya want to pay silly prices for service I suppose. They make their money from servicing cars, not selling them . Most tuned in punters have their own reliable mechanics who they stick with and in turn pay a resonable rate for reliable service. If not they go to an Authorised Dealer and get wedged up.
The other day I was watching a show on Utube.They showed AD's in America who paid their staff on commission. They received a percentage of every service they sold to the punter. The over selling and over servicing was incredible, so many stupid people out there who do not even know how many K's their car oil should be changed at.???? Dumb people paying big dollars for nothing and out and out blatant lieing by the front office sales staff.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Funny ya say that mate. I've had that Toyota Camry wagon SV21 since 1994 and it has been the most reliable car i have ever owned in my life.

I have religiously changed oil and filters at 5K and fully maintained it compliant to factory requirements. Never once has it broken down except for a few years ago when my Alternator give way and drained the battery, rebuild and off I went again. Rebuilt the motor 2 years ago and it cruises along pulling that van at 90 KLM on 3 K revs.

Exactly why I'm gunna cut a lap using the Evoke and then flick it when i get back. I live OS and return to Perth every 4-5 months, hook my van to the Camry and go off cruising Perth's South West with the odd trip up to Coral Bay. Stay around 6 or so weeks and off again. Camry goes back under cover and battery on trickle charge ready for next trip back.

That said, if i was living full time in Australia I may just keep the Holden Evoke VF. Dam nice car that one for an average punter like myself.