Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HVAC design fault. Put up with it?

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Vent temp can be colder or hotter than the cabin temp, untill it thinks or detects cabin temp is correct, then will become more like set display temp.
One other thing can tell you from experience, having your windows tinted helps climate control ac system work better too, in hot whether.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It's actually normal for the AC to be running in this circumstance, in ANY car; but usually it'll mix enough heat in for the air coming outta the vents to be the right temperature. Except just after start-up when most HVAC systems will realise the coolant isn't hot enough to be able to heat the air, and so the blower fan will be off until the coolant heats-up. At least ... in most cars (including the 20yo+ Commodores already discussed in this thread!).

The VE only had the air conditioner compressor on when required. It hardly ran in the cooler months unless it was a warm day. The VF seems to run all the time. You can hear the compressor running.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Dealers cant fix it. All they can do is software updates which do SFA.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
I have an My16 SSV Ute & work in HVAC industry & don't appear to have the same problem here, all works well!

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
To Flukey
And your surprised with that? Its probably more like Holden don't want to spend the money, they are taking the Australian public for mugs.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Pebbs is right on. Holden don't care no doubt because big brother don't care.
Australians are to blame though, for selling out Holden to GM in the first place and letting them decide the fate of the Aussie car.
After reading this I'm sticking with my VE!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Pebbs is right on. Holden don't care no doubt because big brother don't care.
Australians are to blame though, for selling out Holden to GM in the first place and letting them decide the fate of the Aussie car.
Holden's were sheet-metal crafters with no engineering nous at all, they made a car that was less Aussie than taking an MX5 and putting a fibreglass body on it in Brisbane.
There hasn't ever really been an Australian-owned car industry here, not in any volume at least, although the overseas-owned car industry did employ a lot of people & there were certainly some talented employees of overseas car companies here. :)

skip100

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8 08
Two years later, does anyone have any information on what exactly is wrong with the system? I'm a chauffeur with the WN-II Caprice, and I have the same problems as others - intermittent vastly different temperatures between vents (I measure excursions in excess of 10 deg - these excursions can last a long time) and excessive change in temperature with dial changes. It is a very serious problem for me. I haven't reached a dead end with my dealer yet, but it's not looking very promising at all. The dealer seems to accept that the HVAC is not very good, but they don't seem confident that they can fix it - it seems to be a design problem. I'm currently looking into buying or renting a multi-channel temperature data logger to help me prove that the system is crap. Crazy.

Last edited: