Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF LS3 V8 Service Queries

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

Got a few queries now that I am doing my own servicing on my VF SSV Redline ute...

1. What oil filter tool do you find best to remove and install the engine oil filter? I'm using genuine AC DELCO filters, and bought a RYCO filter cup tool, however it doesn't fit... so is there another one that does fit?

2. Is there a decent brand of rocker cover gaskets to suit the LS3? Mine have been replaced twice under warranty at Holden, and now they are leaking again... after just 64000 km.

3. With no Engineering mode on the dash of the VF, is there any way of monitoring various parameters, perhaps via some sort of phone app, Bluetooth etc?

Cheers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I use a 63-76 strap wrench, bit tight but works

Never had an issue with genuine gaskets in lots of kilometres, common mistakes are; over-torque, not from centre out, not replacing bolt grommets, not seated quite right and just not clean enough. Being it's a stealership I'd assume all of the above

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Don’t use a tool to install the filter hand tight works. I have some SCA filter pliers for the times someone has over tightened.

Genuine gaskets are fine, chances are the workshop is installing incorrectly if it keeps leaking as I had the same issue and did it myself once and no more leaks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
1. What oil filter tool do you find best to remove and install the engine oil filter? I'm using genuine AC DELCO filters, and bought a RYCO filter cup tool, however it doesn't fit... so is there another one that does fit?

i use this to remove them

and when you put the new one on just do it up with your hands, give it a good twist on and it will be fine.

3. With no Engineering mode on the dash of the VF, is there any way of monitoring various parameters, perhaps via some sort of phone app, Bluetooth etc?

you can get a cheap elm327 obd dongle like this
you may find one cheaper.

you can then use the torque app to monitor it on the phone

free

paid

i dont know if they have the app for iphones because i have never downgraded to that level but i think there should be something similar.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
i use this to remove them
[/URL]

and when you put the new one on just do it up with your hands, give it a good twist on and it will be fine.

you can get a cheap elm327 obd dongle like this
[/URL]
you may find one cheaper.

you can then use the torque app to monitor it on the phone

free
[/URL]

paid
[/URL]

i dont know if they have the app for iphones because i have never downgraded to that level but i think there should be something similar.
Thanks mate will suss it out. I'd never downgrade to an iPhone either

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Given the location recessed into the sump on the VF2 I'd advise against just using your hand to tighten it. 'hand tight' is mostly correct in that it shouldn't be over tight. It should be surface contact then a three quarter turn. You'll be struggling to do that by hand only in here

Screenshot_20230129_194647_YouTube_1.jpg

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Given the location recessed into the sump on the VF2 I'd advise against just using your hand to tighten it. 'hand tight' is mostly correct in that it shouldn't be over tight. It should be surface contact then a three quarter turn. You'll be struggling to do that by hand only in here

View attachment 247350
Agreed... as I found out today. I nipped it up with the claws but ideally I'd prefer a filter cup tool.

No idea why the Ryco one doesn't fit, maybe their compatible filters are a different to the genuine ones?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Agreed... as I found out today. I nipped it up with the claws but ideally I'd prefer a filter cup tool.

No idea why the Ryco one doesn't fit, maybe their compatible filters are a different to the genuine ones?
Ryco cups are junk IMO. Way too shallow and overpriced. You can get a 10 buck 74mm 14 flute off eBay that has the depth for good contact. It doesn't need to be strong

I prefer these, as you only need three to fit all filters, even in tight spaces and provide sufficient tension

Screenshot_20230129_212310_Edge_1.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

View attachment 247350
Had no problems doing it on my ssv, mine was a l77 though, the vf2 must be worse.
Its pretty much the same as the l77 in the zb too.