Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hi.

I’m slowly doing up a MY15 Series 1 SS Holden VF Commodore (sedan/auto).

I’ve already installed new and improved OEM replacement pads and rotors too , and as this is intended to be a long term car, I thought the next step adjustment could be to and install braided steel brake. I do need advice on this topics, as I am unaware of better brands, and the respective difficulty getting one. That is most suitable.

Alongside that, but also In a seperate staged upgrade I’d like to hear what people have to say and what upgrades are suggested for me (actual individual pieces or whetherI’m headed in the wrong direction)

I currently have a Harrop OTR CAI with a tune, a full sound system, and a variety different increased security features.,

My future progression plan entails throwing a bit more power (max out N/A power probabilities, probably DONT go down forced induction - at least not for a while As such, I would think a logical upgrade plan would be:
- to next do a full engine back exhaust system. 1 3/4 inch headers with a muffler delete and and 2 1/2 inch pipes (with an AFM/DOD delete)
- install a new differential (either Harrop TruTrac or a Kaaz at a ratio sitting around 3.75 (unsure on how that may affect the thefor a new housing.
- reasonably aggressive Cam swap out ato a more aggressive and lumpy cam but also get a stall converter and shift kit alongside this.​

lastly I was hoping to be able to:
- replace the current suspension with coilovers/airbags. I do not know brands very well at all, but anything to add to the safety of the ride.​
-Finally I hope to also save up for some genuine Simmons or SSV/HSV 19” rims​

Feel free to tear me to shreds or point me in the right direction. I do want to make sure that I am new to this world and still learning a lot. I’m not looking for a super fast drag/race car. Just something that looks stock as a rock until I make further changes down the line.

I’d also love to know what a n00b of complete inexperience like myself would be capable of doing. I want it to be “my car” in the sense that I had a hand in altering/modifying it - but don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.

thanks,
Jake

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
As an adjunct, I do have minor mechanical skills and the tools required but any big job will obviously have to be done professionally.

mist the first car I’ve started to work on and pull apart etc so I’m very eager to learn but don’t want to throw myself in the deep end all at once.

thanks again guys for any help you might be able to give me - of even if youcan just point me in the right direction

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My opinion regarding the braided lines ... unless you’re doing regular track days, IMHO it’s a bit overkilly. I mean, if you feel like an upgrade that’s not going to cost the earth, it’s not a step backwards ... but for road use the standard lines are fine, and IMHO that ~$600 (guessing) would be better off spent on PULP. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
IMHO that ~$600 (guessing) would be better off spent on PULP. :)
Agreed but the downside is you can’t show off a tank of PULP like you can your new braided brake lines :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Agreed but the downside is you can’t show off a tank of PULP like you can your new braided brake lines :p
I carry a boroscope & TV-screen around with me, you won’t believe how attractive I am to someone once they’ve seen the inside of my tank!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I got the braided lines on my ve from safe brake, was just under $300 plus some brake fluid of course it’s a simple job to do yourself and does give a firmer more responsive brake pedal

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
plenty of threads on basic mods already