Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sportwagon dead as a dodo. Thinking caps on, please... :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If they're the original batteries, they would be close to 8 years old.
Might be time to replace the primary battery.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Does it need to have two batteries?
I think having the two batteries is a good idea because you have strong cranking power for a longer period of time.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
If they're the original batteries, they would be close to 8 years old.
Might be time to replace the primary battery.
I'm not sure about when and if the batteries were replaced in the car before I bought it when it was showing 55k on the ODO. In any case I will see what the RACV person says. This is just another headache in a mountain of recent headaches...illness, my loungeroom ceiling caving in after a big storm and a subsequent battle with the insurer. One more thing to tackle. I think the Chinese have an old curse... "May your life be interesting!" :D:)

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I think having the two batteries is a good idea because you have strong cranking power for a longer period of time.
Does the dual battery kit keep the 2nd battery connected when the primary is starting the car? Vicpol had a redarc isolator in my car when I bought it and some Redarc kits do let you jump from the 2nd battery. I cant remember if it was that particular Redarc kit that they fitted.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'm not sure about when and if the batteries were replaced in the car before I bought it when it was showing 55k on the ODO. In any case I will see what the RACV person says. This is just another headache in a mountain of recent headaches...illness, my loungeroom ceiling caving in after a big storm and a subsequent battle with the insurer. One more thing to tackle. I think the Chinese have an old curse... "May your life be interesting!" :D:)
VE/VF batteries generally last about 6-8 years in my experience so your probably still on the original battery.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I would go with the battery change. It will be the cheapest thing to try first and it's good to do it anyway at that age of car - I changed both of mine at the 7 year mark for the V8 type AC Delco. About $140 each, but I think I was lucky pricewise.
Lots of charging bought me another 6 months or so, but I got tired of the slow speed of the starter motor and feeling underconfident that the cars would start. After the battery change, the funny little gremlins went away.

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
My ex VicPol wagon has an isolation relay next to the second battery. This relay does not pull in until the car is running so the second battery has no part in the starting process and can be completely removed if you don't need it. I would be looking at the starter solenoid being faulty. Seeing it's been sitting unstarted for a while there is a good chance corrosion on the contacts could be your problem. If you can hear the solenoid pulling in then it might be dirty contacts - maybe they can be cleaned by stripping the solenoid.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
The VF will not be happy if the battery is not 100 % solid. First go is to load test the battery. Regards needing the second battery connected is bolliks, turn the isolater to off or just disconnect it. Next thing is keep a Ctek battery charger on it. Good luck mate, the VF is a cracker car.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the last ex police car I saw the secondry battery was a deep cycle battery it didn't have the capacity to start off, is your secondry battery the same as the primary? the 2nd battery has nothing to do the the starting system

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
The VF will not be happy if the battery is not 100 % solid. First go is to load test the battery. Regards needing the second battery connected is bolliks, turn the isolater to off or just disconnect it. Next thing is keep a Ctek battery charger on it. Good luck mate, the VF is a cracker car.
@Terry57 is on the money. The battery can read full but still be cactus. You definitely need to do a load test as the fist step given the symptoms you have.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls