Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with a W547

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
that floor brace is only like a foot or so away from the rear chassis cross brace junction anyway i cant see it really doing anything critical, if its stopping flex then the chassis is not doing its job, its prob only there to stop the exhaust falling out if the rubbers broke
The plate will be a structural member guaranteed! Holden wouldn't fit an unnecessary bolt if it could save them money.

A tunnel brace is a structural member on an M3/M4 BMW as it's mentioned with the rear crossmember bracing associated with those cars.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It's attached with 4 self-tapping screws, which would strip threads during a side impact.
High tensile bolts into anchor nuts would be a lot more believable.
VF2 Ute tunnel brace is attached with bolts and threads in the chassis rails

20210829_023158 (1).jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's attached with 4 self-tapping screws, which would strip threads during a side impact.
High tensile bolts into anchor nuts would be a lot more believable.
Sounds like that high tensile brace would be nice and straight after a side impact because those self tappers would just pop out (if self tappers are indeed used) :p

Regardless, I’m just of the opinion that car makers are the cheapest entities on this planet and they wouldn’t even paint the outside of cars if they thought they could sell them bare metal…

So whether it’s structural or just as a backup for failing exhaust hangers, it seems important enough to have it. How Walkinshaw can remove it while claiming OEM engineering is poor form and really a little beyond belief (but not surprising) :rolleyes:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Sounds like that high tensile brace would be nice and straight after a side impact because those self tappers would just pop out (if self tappers are indeed used) :p

Regardless, I’m just of the opinion that car makers are the cheapest entities on this planet and they wouldn’t even paint the outside of cars if they thought they could sell them bare metal…

So whether it’s structural or just as a backup for failing exhaust hangers, it seems important enough to have it. How Walkinshaw can remove it while claiming OEM engineering is poor form and really a little beyond belief (but not surprising) :rolleyes:
Remove one and see for yourself, they are hex headed self tappers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not doubting the attachment method as such, be it bolts or self tappers. Though I must admit using self tappers seems less structural to a layperson like myself especially when used on something that’s made of more costly dual phase high strength steel :rolleyes:

And it just doesn’t make sense to me that Holden spent coin to make that part out of this dual phase high strength steel and for Walkinshaw to consider that the part serves no purpose :oops:

Holden spends the coin on a part and Walkinshaw simply sees it as not required because it likely makes their exhaust work easier if they toss it (as suggested by others earlier).

Really Walkinshaws attitude doesn’t sound so well grounded especially when they profess to exceeding OEM levels of engineering :p :rolleyes:

PS: I just noticed the pic posted by @chrisp was for a VE and not for VF. Does the VF have the same part made of high strength steel?

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
PS: I just noticed the pic posted by @chrisp was for a VE and not for VF. Does the VF have the same part made of high strength steel?
All the same.... High strength brace attached to average strength floor pan with 4 hex headed screws with a very coarse, sharp-edged thread that finishes in a point.
Nothing structural with those 4 attaching screws.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
There will be going into captured nuts, still not add structural strength