Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV or Subaru WRX Premium? Your opinions please

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Having read this whole thread, gotta say Phil, your missus sounds like a bit of a punish when it comes to this sort of thing....go buy her a car yourself, wrap a big bow around it and park it in the driveway for her to find...surely she'd be happy with the gesture..?

My tip, go the v8...here's my very own thread on the same issue..good luck mate......:)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...x-three-months-later-back-calais-v-l98.233251
I would love to do just exactly that, I've thought about it a lot, unfortunately I would need to win the lottery, sure would love to see her face when I surprised her with a new car, bow and all!
My miss K has a very serious problem when it comes to making any kind of decision, a quick spur of the moment decision takes around two years, something more thought out takes 5.
She wants my help and advice,but when I give it, she rejects it then goes on to practically rip me a new a.. Hole.
She's a woman, what can ya do?
I have given up. Meanwhile I'm loving the ssv vf ute!
Btw, I read all of your thread and it was very interesting, I have somewhat cooled my fever for the wrx after reading some of the replies here....Not so sure about that idea I had that Subaru is way better made anymore... My ssv is sweet, haven't found any fault or niggle as yet.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
As long as you are happy Phil. The missus will work it out one day.
Oh, have you booked in for the long list of recalls on the VF?? Just kidding:boxing:

InnerWestie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV
I had a imprezza before the ssv. Was brand new and I only kept it for 6 months as I absolutely hated it. In 6 months, one electric window stopped working, one speaker stopped working, it stalled numerous times (it's auto), the fuel consumption was worse than my v8 (na 2.0L). In short Subaru fixed the speaker and window, but blamed the fuel on my driving and the stalling was non existent. I bought a lemon. My ss v on the other hand has has no issues whatsoever. 3 recalls yes, but only precautionary.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I would love to do just exactly that, I've thought about it a lot, unfortunately I would need to win the lottery, sure would love to see her face when I surprised her with a new car, bow and all!
My miss K has a very serious problem when it comes to making any kind of decision, a quick spur of the moment decision takes around two years, something more thought out takes 5.
She wants my help and advice,but when I give it, she rejects it then goes on to practically rip me a new a.. Hole.
She's a woman, what can ya do?

It would be so much easier if there was just one product for everything a woman needs to buy. Or plain packaging for women on all items so they don't get distracted. Men can have any number of choices but women should only get one.

Going grocery shopping is a nightmare. How long does it take to pick an f'ing cereal? "How have we just spent 5 minutes looking at cereals for you to pick the same cereal you always get?"

It does my head in. And they wonder why they are always late?

InnerWestie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV
It would be so much easier if there was just one product for everything a woman needs to buy. Or plain packaging for women on all items so they don't get distracted. Men can have any number of choices but women should only get one.

Going grocery shopping is a nightmare. How long does it take to pick an f'ing cereal? "How have we just spent 5 minutes looking at cereals for you to pick the same cereal you always get?"

Hahaha. Summed up perfectly.
I don't bother going grocery shopping with her anymore. We go to get dinner and end up with makeup, hair ties and 3 different kinds of shampoo. Also when in a shopping center, she will bump into another woman shopper and complain that they should watch where they are walking. "Woman you have been rubbernecking in everyshop window, no wonder you run into people".

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
I had a imprezza before the ssv. Was brand new and I only kept it for 6 months as I absolutely hated it. In 6 months, one electric window stopped working, one speaker stopped working, it stalled numerous times (it's auto), the fuel consumption was worse than my v8 (na 2.0L). In short Subaru fixed the speaker and window, but blamed the fuel on my driving and the stalling was non existent. I bought a lemon. My ss v on the other hand has has no issues whatsoever. 3 recalls yes, but only precautionary.

Crikey! I just told her what you wrote and she just didn't wanna hear it! Emotion rules with my missus!

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute

Oh yeah brother.... You are living my life!

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I've just gone through this exact quandary myself. It was pretty much between the new WRX and a VF SSV redline. They both perform very well. However I think there are some real world points to note.

With the WRX, it is really grippy when going around roundabouts in the wet. It didn't even look like losing grip. If you did, it would tend to understeer.

The interior of the WRX is OK, but its a little tight and the space between the clutch and drivers footrest is minimal. For me being the best part go 6ft3, I had to put the seat all the way back and it wasn't quite far enough. It also only has single zone aircon. But its still a nice place to be.

You've got to give the engine quite a bit to get it buzzing, but when you do it goes go well. However, as your own car which you drive every day and probably want to keep, you might not want to drive like this the whole time.

The WRX's fuel consumption is not the greatest for a 4 cylinder, and I am pretty sure it requires 95 Ron or better. Its only a couple of litres per 100km worse off than an SSV. The engine in it did sound good for a 4 cylinder, but that brings me to my next point.

Which one of the two cars could you live with for a long time - both in length of ownership and lengthy drives? If I read this right, you might be in semi-retirement or retirement so you are probably after something to look after you in terms of comfort etc as much as anything. The WRX, you would enjoy but if you took a long drive, you might need to get out and stretch more. A non issue with the SSV in my opinion.

I got quotes for insurance for both, and the WRX costs more. Not too much, but enough nonetheless.

The WRX is a good car and it came mighty close to being in my driveway. But I look at it like this - Ive had my VE SSV since the release of the VE. Its a car I've never gotten sick of, and I can't say the same for any other cars I've owned. I'd like the WRX for maybe a couple of years but there would be things that would get to me after a while. I'm nitpicking here, however these two cars are very close in the I want it stakes.

I know Ive done long drives in the SSV and when I got out, it didn't feel like I drove for any longer than 20 minutes. And I know the VF is the same because a family member has one and took it for a 14 hour drive. He got out of his car and didn't feel and discomfort. I know that wouldn't be the case in the WRX.

The SSV would have real world ability to drive well at reasonable speeds, but if you want to flog it, its there. And you just can't beat the purr of a V8.

The final clincher? There are still very good deals to be had. a 5 year proper factory warranty would help ease your wife's mind. I also think that the VF is a well sorted car. Add 3 years of free servicing, and great prices to be had, the decision isn't hard. As mentioned before, its a final-ish chance to get a locally made muscle car - which it is an awesome car. And even when they stop making them here, parts and associated costs will still be very reasonable.

You live life once. Enjoy it. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet. I took this philosophy yesterday, the result being a new VF SSV redline coming my way :)

Just my thoughts. I hope they are relevant for you and help in some way.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Thank you so much for your reply, I enjoyed reading it!
I'm a bit over the Subaru idea now. I thought it was an awesome and very fun car to drive, I still do.. But after having my new ssv ute for a few weeks now,I can safely say that it has the punch you into the back of the seat acceleration that impresses me, the comfort level and bling factor are superior to the subra I think.
My miss K can't make decisions, she got an amazing offer on an ssv sedan and turned it down. She could buy a new car tomorrow but she's given up now. It was all just too hard for her.
On the other hand, I had no problem making the decision to buy the new vf ute. Was thinking of waiting til 2016 but I missed having a ute since I sold the ve ,plus I got a frigging ripper deal... It's all very good!