Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 fuel consumption

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The next step is scone NSW to Mildura, I plan to fill in Parkes and see what the Hay plain brings as the ve was good for 7.5 over this stretch.
I cross the Hay Plain three or four times a year for work, maybe once a year detour up through Broken Hill via Cobar, among the goats... I get down to 5.5 in summer (~50°) so would be interesting to compare logs for sure.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Well yeah, sorta similar comparing LS3's stock 230 rwkw to L77's stock 225 rwkw... off the shop floor there's not much in it. After all who's counting a few thousand bucks a year here and there, coz V8. Irony is L77 is the same V8*
Recently in a thread here (where @Tazzl ponders making an AFM denial dongle potentially adding more or eliminating AFM operation) that you can swap a tune into AFM cars that saves 30%-50% in urban and country driving.
Search YouTube for videos demonstrating AFM cars stop/start in suburbia 50-80 kph averaging 7l/100k according to the DIC. Tune and granny driving, yes, but nothing as extravagant as claiming LS3 makes +34 kW over the L77. Seems from above most that energy goes out the exhaust!
I must make a video showing realtime litres per hour vs kph same time as the calc PID, background of various environmental and driving conditions.
Oh this is all jest BTW, there is not much in power or economy one over the other. Also i essentially rebuilt my L77 for power and economy taking a world of driving (actually 7x world circumnavigation) into account. So grain of salt, if you don't give a toot about an extra few grand a year you're welcome to the belief LS3 with shorter gears makes good sense, economically. Probably as much sense as the performance argument at least!
* apart from being a pube breadth (SAE) bigger either side of bore and on the cam lobe.

Hey Monstar, I don't have an LS3 so I'm not the ultimate authority on them, but your statement of a couple of grand a year difference in fuel costs between the two is over the top to say the least (or you have to be running lots of Km's in that one year). I do my commuting in a little Fiesta that uses 7.0 l/100Km for that commute. I know my V8 will easily double that fuel use and then some. I would spend say $40 a week (actually when fuel prices have down under $1.20 I am using about $35 a week) for fuel in the Fiesta (15,000 Km per year). So for a V8 SS Commodore over a Fiesta based on 15,000 Km a year Sydney commute average speed about 30km/h the difference wouldn't exceed $2500 in fuel. A Fiesta to an SS Commodore is a pretty extreme difference in cars for a $2500 saving over 15,000 Km, I can't see an LS3 is a similar extreme that could possibly make near that much difference. I can see $10 week or $500 a year sure, but $2K - can't see it. In my my mind any kind of average fuel quoting over anything less than a full tank of fuel is pointless. All cars can use smaller amounts of fuel in certain circumstances, doing it consistently is another matter.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
LS3 for the win!
That's disgusting, if it were my company that is. In dollar terms probably acceptable as an employee doing those few km a week, but as a value proposition for owner driver doing two or three times that mileage the difference in economy is enough to take the glorious, much-lauded 0.2l bigger banger back and shirtfront the dealer make them refit the better engine in. Clearly changing to 98 ain't gonna curb the trend.
View attachment 189568
Given performance difference is immeasurable and the fuel cost over a fraction of its lifetime is tens of thousands more, VF SI may prove a better proposition as a keeper.

Don't really know what your beef with the LS3 is mate, but to put your mind at rest, here are my consumption stats:

I was getting 16.3 /100kms in my old VE L98 on average, compared to the 15.5 you see here in the LS3

The 'best score' of 8.2 l/100kms was on a trip to Canberra and back with the car fully loaded with five people (and associated luggage) aircon on the whole trip and driving around Canberra city (not just freeway driving).

The LS3 is nowhere near as bad as you seem to think.

(Apologies to all for the giant pics..)

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
I'll post up what I get monstar but will hardly be an apples with apples comparison, mine being a bog stock ls3 being run in vs your rebuilt modified afm engine with a tune etc..

At the end of the day it's all moot because I still enjoy giving my cars a boot full and in one foul swoop the few litres I saved over a long trip are converted into exhaust gas and a big smile!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Forg, I'd agree with the 1L/100 statement for the AFM cars. On highway trips to Brisbane I seem to get just under 9.0 l/100Km in my AFM SS and around or just under 10.0 in my VX Clubby and also previously an LS1 VX II Calais. Before that, like yourself I had a VS Exec that I bought new in 1997 (about 6 weeks before the VT came out), it too would do just under 10/100 Km on the trip to Brisbane. Actually one trip to Brisbane I drove the Calais and my wife drove the VS and there was nothing in the fuel consumption difference. The smaller fuel tank of the VS just meant it need to stop earlier than the Calais. If I had an LS3 I'd be anticipating it would do about 10l/100Km on the Sydney to Brisbane run. Sadly I don't have one - I'll have to rectify that situation one day!
The trip to Brisbane maybe has many hills? Or was the Exec a V8?
We used to average about 7L/100km in the VS down to Canberra (from Sydney) & back; but that was setting the cruise to dead on 110 (so most traffic except the numpties would go past us & we could sit in the left lane without much need to change), and there's only about one hill. That was an auto Ecomoo though.
Haven't done it in the VF yet.

Well yeah, sorta similar comparing LS3's stock 230 rwkw to L77's stock 225 rwkw... off the shop floor there's not much in it. After all who's counting a few thousand bucks a year here and there, coz V8.
Heh heh ... we only spend about $1500-$2kyr on fuel, LS3 would have to use about 50L/100km for it to be an extra few thousand. :)

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Having a V8 is great and I know others on this forum have said that getting a V8 is something that I won't regret. But this is a bugbear for me because my driving mainly involves city traffic in Sydney on the worst road.. Parramatta Road. If I go through my trip computer I typically average 24km at 12.5 litres on my SV6 series 1. I would hate to know what it would be on a V8. Sure the relaxed driving I do on weekends will be better but as I don't put anything other than 98 in my cars I think the fuel cost over a year will be quite hefty. Does anyone have some figures from a LS3 V8 with an average speed which is so low?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Having a V8 is great and I know others on this forum have said that getting a V8 is something that I won't regret. But this is a bugbear for me because my driving mainly involves city traffic in Sydney on the worst road.. Parramatta Road. If I go through my trip computer I typically average 24km at 12.5 litres on my SV6 series 1. I would hate to know what it would be on a V8. Sure the relaxed driving I do on weekends will be better but as I don't put anything other than 98 in my cars I think the fuel cost over a year will be quite hefty. Does anyone have some figures from a LS3 V8 with an average speed which is so low?

Look at it this way mate, even if you averaged 20L/100km in the V8 (highly unlikely), it would only cost about ten bucks more per 100km to run over your SV6. (Assuming fuel at 1.30 a litre).

The real consumption will probably be around 17L per 100kms, making the extra cost about $7-$8 more over a hundred kms

Buy the V8...you only live once ;)

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Well yeah, sorta similar comparing LS3's stock 230 rwkw to L77's stock 225 rwkw... off the shop floor there's not much in it. After all who's counting a few thousand bucks a year here and there, coz V8. Irony is L77 is the same V8*
Recently in a thread here (where @Tazzl ponders making an AFM denial dongle potentially adding more or eliminating AFM operation) that you can swap a tune into AFM cars that saves 30%-50% in urban and country driving.
Search YouTube for videos demonstrating AFM cars stop/start in suburbia 50-80 kph averaging 7l/100k according to the DIC. Tune and granny driving, yes, but nothing as extravagant as claiming LS3 makes +34 kW over the L77. Seems from above most that energy goes out the exhaust!
I must make a video showing realtime litres per hour vs kph same time as the calc PID, background of various environmental and driving conditions.
Oh this is all jest BTW, there is not much in power or economy one over the other. Also i essentially rebuilt my L77 for power and economy taking a world of driving (actually 7x world circumnavigation) into account. So grain of salt, if you don't give a toot about an extra few grand a year you're welcome to the belief LS3 with shorter gears makes good sense, economically. Probably as much sense as the performance argument at least!
* apart from being a pube breadth (SAE) bigger either side of bore and on the cam lobe.

Mate a LS3 is a better engine then a L77 on every level, and those figures above how LS3 only 5kw more then a L77 and using alot more fuel.
Your clearly delluded try about 20-30kw more, and alot less fuel then you think. Mabe you should drive a ss with the LS3 in it, it may wake you up..

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
LS3 for the win!
That's disgusting, if it were my company that is. In dollar terms probably acceptable as an employee doing those few km a week, but as a value proposition for owner driver doing two or three times that mileage the difference in economy is enough to take the glorious, much-lauded 0.2l bigger banger back and shirtfront the dealer make them refit the better engine in. Clearly changing to 98 ain't gonna curb the trend.
View attachment 189568
Given performance difference is immeasurable and the fuel cost over a fraction of its lifetime is tens of thousands more, VF SI may prove a better proposition as a keeper.

I'm one of those suckers with a LS3. I missed my opportunity to get a series 1 and had to settle for the S2.

And of course it's too late now, nobody will part with one. I wish you would stop reminding them how much better they have it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'm one of those suckers with a LS3. I missed my opportunity to get a series 1 and had to settle for the S2.

And of course it's too late now, nobody will part with one. I wish you would stop reminding them how much better they have it.
Not right now but once the Koolaid wears off I think it will be much of a muchness, possibly in favour of the better engine.