Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline 2 - 3 automatic changes

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
I have noticed in my 2016 VF 2 redline up a road with a slight hill, when I boot it from a standing start the 2nd to 3rd gear change in sports mode the car will hit maximum revs cutout and cut the motor out briefly before the revs drop slightly and then change into 3rd. Very annoying in acceleration as it is like flat spot. It doesn't do it on a flat bit of road. Has anybody else experienced this?

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
My series 1 redline wont rev over 6k even in sports.. probley a good thing

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I have noticed in my 2016 VF 2 redline up a road with a slight hill, when I boot it from a standing start the 2nd to 3rd gear change in sports mode the car will hit maximum revs cutout and cut the motor out briefly before the revs drop slightly and then change into 3rd. Very annoying in acceleration as it is like flat spot. It doesn't do it on a flat bit of road. Has anybody else experienced this?
I'm not being facetious but that's engine protection set at factory, I don't think Holden techs would change that but one of the first things a tuner does when flashing in a performance tune. Deleting engine protection is a surefire easy way to make the car feel faster and more powerful - let it rev it out more and spin the wheels with a touch of the pedal like a two bob hire car. But is actually at the core of the Holden drivetrain warranty.

Last edited:

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
I would have thought that the 2nd to 3rd automatic shifts would have changed before going into cutout mode? Isn't it just a calibration issue where the change should occur before the rev limiter kicks in?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I would have thought that the 2nd to 3rd automatic shifts would have changed before going into cutout mode? Isn't it just a calibration issue where the change should occur before the rev limiter kicks in?
It's not the engine rpm level or the rpm acceleration level but the load at that rpm. Too much stress according to GM. You don't get it if there is some wheelspin or a level test or going down hill, then it's torque management for engine (driveline) protection.
It may be inconvenient but is part of what keeps these motors blasting like new at 300k km. No chance Holden will alter that, but any hack with a laptop and the free tuning software will 'fix' that (and stuff your warranty for good).

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Understand now. Thank you for your response and explanation.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
It's not the engine rpm level or the rpm acceleration level but the load at that rpm. Too much stress according to GM. You don't get it if there is some wheelspin or a level test or going down hill, then it's torque management for engine (driveline) protection.
It may be inconvenient but is part of what keeps these motors blasting like new at 300k km. No chance Holden will alter that, but any hack with a laptop and the free tuning software will 'fix' that (and stuff your warranty for good).

Hey monstar , Which free tuning software you are talking about ?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hey monstar , Which free tuning software you are talking about ?
HP Tuners, by VCM Suite in Melbourne. You pay to package and upload file to the controller(s).
So HPT there is no hardware purchase required vs EFIlive you buy licences linked to the Flashscan.