Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS owners - have you had any major mechanical or electrical faults since new?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Hi.

This is a general question. I'd like to gauge how people's SS (LS3) has been to own since new. How many kilometres have you travelled and have you had a major failure on the engine / mechanicals / electricals? I was of the belief these cars are suppose to be almost bullet proof on reliability. I have no issues but my ride does not get driven (at all) really so I have no idea how it may run after a few thousand ks. I'm interested to see how others SS have gone through the mileage.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My S1 Redline L77 (AFM) is 3.5 years old and has 64,000 km. No issues at all.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
OP why don't you drive it? Did u buy it for an investment?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Series 2 Redline LS3, 1 year old and 32,600km, no issues at all... *touch wood*

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
OP why don't you drive it? Did u buy it for an investment?
Not really as an investment but as I am keeping it for life I'd like it to be a weekend toy in future. If it holds value that will be nice.

You will have issues with it if you don't drive it.
After purchase I did a bit of travel in it to run motor a bit including a few hundred kilometres of mountain runs. Hopefully that ran it in nicely with some load.

Series 2 Redline LS3, 1 year old and 32,600km, no issues at all... *touch wood*

Sounds great too.

WW-VFSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
VF2 Redline - Twice had the air bag warning appear, dealer said on the second occasion there was a loose wire under the drivers seat. Also had a faulty battery, car wouldn't start after a trip to the shops. Battery was also replaced. Both issues were within 4 months of ownership, both seem to be resolved with no further issues. Car is now 11 months old. Loving it!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
You shouldn't let a car sit for more than two weeks at a time. Mechanical components need to be moved, seals need to be lubricated, air con needs to be used or it will fail. When I had a nice car in the garage, I tried to drive it weekly to keep things moving.
My Redline has done 11,000km since Nov 2016 and I have had no mechanical issues. I did notice some squeaks and rattles at about 6,000 though, conveniently out of the period that Holden will warrant. I would prefer to fix these things myself anyway as I won't break stuff and just leave it there. (Has happened on previous SSV)