Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS Redline Ute - Total Failure / Will Not Start

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Hi Guy`s after putting in my 2014 head unit in to my 2016 car and the same week did the same thing to the Toyota 105 series upgraded the the head unit
found that the WiFi keeps looking to the phone to connect ad will do so and in a few days both battery`s went flat dead flat
but didn`t know these head units could do this
charged the battery`s they both recovered and haven`t turn wifi back on but both battery`s in both cars recovered
ok

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Spilling acid from a fully sealed battery sounds a little suspicious to me....

Must find out how to do that
That’s true, it does sound suspicious but dealers are really cheap animals and wouldn’t replace a carpet at their cost unless they did make some foobar that couldn’t be swept under the carpet (pun intended) :p

Those sealed maintenance free calcium flooded batteries used in our cars do contain lots of acid in a liquid form unlike Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries where the acid is carried within a gel. And these maintenance free calcium flooded batteries can in rare cases suffer from some odd manufacturing fault of the case or the valve where either fault can lead to the battery acid leaks.

I’d expect such manufacturing faults are rather rare though stuff happens … and a good maintenance free calcium flooded battery will eventually leak acid out via the vent if tipped upside down. But who knows which one caused the acid to leak all over the carpet though mechanics aren’t rocket scientists and some shouldn't even be called mechanics to begin with.

I still see it as foobar 1 leads to carpet damage (however that occurred*) while foobar 2 during carpet replacement leads to damaged wiring which becomes apparent 6 months later. The third wiring repair went well. That’s three distinct tasks, 2 of which were done poorly leading to damage… Guess 2 out of 3 ain’t bad in dealer speak :rolleyes:

* i wouldn’t be surprised if the mechanic was working on an older car containing an older maintainable battery and got acid on his tools and some rag that were all placed on the carpet behind the Ute seat… later the carpet starts to discolour… as I said, they aren’t rocket scientists…

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE UTE AUTO
That’s true, it does sound suspicious but dealers are really cheap animals and wouldn’t replace a carpet at their cost unless they did make some foobar that couldn’t be swept under the carpet (pun intended) :p

Those sealed maintenance free calcium flooded batteries used in our cars do contain lots of acid in a liquid form unlike Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries where the acid is carried within a gel. And these maintenance free calcium flooded batteries can in rare cases suffer from some odd manufacturing fault of the case or the valve where either fault can lead to the battery acid leaks.

I’d expect such manufacturing faults are rather rare though stuff happens … and a good maintenance free calcium flooded battery will eventually leak acid out via the vent if tipped upside down. But who knows which one caused the acid to leak all over the carpet though mechanics aren’t rocket scientists and some shouldn't even be called mechanics to begin with.

I still see it as foobar 1 leads to carpet damage (however that occurred*) while foobar 2 during carpet replacement leads to damaged wiring which becomes apparent 6 months later. The third wiring repair went well. That’s three distinct tasks, 2 of which were done poorly leading to damage… Guess 2 out of 3 ain’t bad in dealer speak :rolleyes:

* i wouldn’t be surprised if the mechanic was working on an older car containing an older maintainable battery and got acid on his tools and some rag that were all placed on the carpet behind the Ute seat… later the carpet starts to discolour… as I said, they aren’t rocket scientists…
Ur probably right mate... it didn't go smoothly. In the end they ended up covering everything but that was after they tried to deny they spilt acid and it must have been me - they were audacious enough to challenge me if I had a photo of behind the seat before the service to prove that it wasn't me who did it. Who has a photo of behind the passenger Ute seat?... esp when I didn't even know they were going to 'test battery health'. I stuck to my guns, and they eventually agreed to replace, eventually admitting fault. Make sure you all check Ur vehicles whenever collected from service is all I can say - when I first got back in mine, I noticed the strongish smell, but first took it for some kind of cleaning chemical they must have used and didn't think twice.. The next morning it was a lot worse so I started investigating the source...

Last ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS 6.2
search the forums for fuel pump, some of the vf models seem to have issues with the plug between the vehicle and fuel pump burning out so you might be correct about it being a fuel pump issue.
You were right. The wiring that goes into the top of my fuel tank was burnt. My car has only done 60000kms. No warranty from Holden. I'm pretty annoyed.

Last ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS 6.2
Hi Last SS,

Not sure why, but i\I only just got notified of other replies to this post now.

Ute ended up getting towed down to local dealer.

Later that day they advised they had found the problem and it was a partially sheered through wire under the driver seat apparently.

About 6 months prior, i had the carpet replaced under warranty as the dealer had done a service on the battery and somehow spilt acid all through the back area behind passanger seat, which ate through the carpet.

They said maybe something got damaged when they replaced the carpet and it then wore away further until suddenly wouldn't work any longer.

Seemed like a pretty unlikely scenario to me so im not sure what to believe.

Anycase... its never had any issues since they 'fixed' this.
Mine ended up being burnt out wiring going into the top of my fuel tank. At only 60000kms that's pretty disappointing.