Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Calais V Questions

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Have a CX9 sitting in my garage, bought it new 7 years ago, it uses more petrol than my ute, but it seats 7 and very "civilised" to drive. Drove the new CX9, much improved fuel consumption and even more "civilised" - the 2018 model handles better too. Get the CX9 for your family but drive the Sportwagon for yourself....:D

Yeah I'll second the CX-9 suggestion. Had one for almost 10 years now from new and still running strong at 190,000+km. Motor is still punchy! Handle's VERY well for a 2 tonne SUV. It's 3.7l V6 drank about 11.5/l100km when new. Drinks a little more than the Redline now... but it's 2 tonne, it's AWD... and it comfortably and effortlessly moves up to 7 peeps... and tows. Impressive.

I'm not sure I'd go for the new CX-9. The 2.5l, 4 cylinder petrol turbo will be a fairly stressed motor in that application me thinks. They've had trouble with the CX-7 petrol turbo motors over the years for the same reason... under-powered and over-stressed for the application. But time will tell.

Last edited:

rocketrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
It didn't seem stressed at all when I drove it.

Since this is turning into a CX-9 (or as Forg put it a 'Geryltrux') thread, some 'nit picks' for the CX-9...

- FWD based, and AWD on demand, so still get some torque steer until rears kick in.
- Guide lines on the reversing camera don't move with the steering (WTF?? on a 65k+ car). They do on the VFIIs!
- The HUD is not visible with polarized sunnies. Perfectly visible on the VFII HUD!
- Space saver spare. Full size on VFIIs.
- 2000Kg braked towing capacity on both Calais and CX-9, but CX-9 only have 100kg towball download limit. VFII autos have 200kg I believe.
- The engine note is piss poor. No such problem on the LS3!
- Middle seat on the second row is raised, so any adult sitting there is kind of stupidly raised up, and is not very comfortable.
- Feels big on the outside, and small on the inside (might be a subjective thing though, since it has around 2000l with seats down, as per the sportwagons)

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I'm thinking now to forget the luxury and practicality thinking, and just go for a Redline sedan in manual! Thoughts?

To your original question, I went from a CX-9 (albeit 2008 V6) to a Redline sedan in manual. For me it was time to ditch the luxury auto people-mover and get a drivers car back into the stables. :)

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I agree that the sedans rear seats not folding down is a big limitation on making the car an all rounder for the family man. The middle seat pass through just doesn't cut it.
If you are going to cross shop the Calais wagon I'd recommend giving the Skoda Superb 206tsi a test drive. It's got the same running gear as the VW Golf R (206kw all wheel drive DSG automatic) and will get you moving as quick as the LS3 in the Calais. The Skodas have a ridiculous amount of tech in their option packages including adaptive dampers, and panoramic roofs. The alternative to the wagon is a sportback hatch which in my opinion is the sweet spot between looks and practicality. Theres a Super Sportline 206tsi that adds a few cosmetic things but is essentially the same as the 206tsi.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'm surprised with safety rules that they can sell a 5 seater (wagon) with no headrest. I think safety wise that is very bad. Considering you will be using all 5 seats and having thoughts about safety versus practicality and the manual option, I'd say go the manual sedan. I still have my manual VX R8 (only about 103,000 Km on it), It's the best drive over an auto for sure. I also have an auto VE SS and the better drive is the manual. I do use the VE for towing and the better tow capacity I need for caravan towing.

rocketrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
I'm surprised with safety rules that they can sell a 5 seater (wagon) with no headrest. I think safety wise that is very bad.

Completely agree. It's funny how, these days, ANCAP gives cars a poor rating due to lack of some electronic gizmo that a competent driver doesn't rely on anyway, and then you have this, where a very basic feature that prevents head and neck injury in a real life crash is missing, but yet the car is still classed as 5 stars!

I was looking at the Skodas too. I'm not too keen on the DSG transmissions, have heard too many stories. I have also looked at the Skoda Octavia RS wagon in manual, which is a class smaller than the VFII, however not really designed for towing, and is FWD. I also didn't like the interior in the Octavia, too poverty pack looking.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The DSG problems have, theoretically, been resolved. They've been around a while now, and VW (or whoever does their transmissions) have learned a few lessons. The problems were all with earlier generation 'boxen.

However ... I don't know that I'd buy one as a 20-year ownership prospect. The trouble-free 'boxen have been around for ... I guess 5-6 years or so. So we've only got 5-6 year's worth of "proof".
But if you're someone who turns over their cars even every 7-8 years or so (ie. after the big depreciation-hit to 5 but before the big safety/technology jumps that have usually occurred around 10), I reckon it'd be a fairly safe bet now.

When we bought the Redline, we wanted "auto wagon" primarily, and admittedly the V8 was high on the wish-list. However, at anywhere near the money there was very little available, with anything near similar performance, which I'd have been comfortable trying to own for 20 years. About the only wagon alternatives were VAG & hence were all DSG.

vrclubbie

Reaction score
I too looked at the Skoda line up, but couldn't bring myself to buy anything VAG. My mum drives a mk7 golf R - it has leaked coolant since new, never resolved, just topped up by the dealer... the haldex failed, they replaced the computer, told me it was fixed - it wasn't, I called them and they said 'tell us now if its modified before we go looking' took it back in and 1 week later they told me the whole diff need replacing... ok not sure why it took a week to discover that. Eventually it was fixed after 3 visits and being accused of modifying the car... the service was utter garbage... also DSG... what a crap transmission. In day to day driving you get smoked by nissan micras at the traffic lights while the DSG is thinking about how to get off the line. God forbid you need to cross a few lanes of traffic in a hurry from standstill... It is nice on a twisty road though/once you get moving, and that 2 litre turbo is just incredible.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I too looked at the Skoda line up, but couldn't bring myself to buy anything VAG. My mum drives a mk7 golf R - it has leaked coolant since new, never resolved, just topped up by the dealer... the haldex failed, they replaced the computer, told me it was fixed - it wasn't, I called them and they said 'tell us now if its modified before we go looking' took it back in and 1 week later they told me the whole diff need replacing... ok not sure why it took a week to discover that. Eventually it was fixed after 3 visits and being accused of modifying the car... the service was utter garbage... also DSG... what a crap transmission. In day to day driving you get smoked by nissan micras at the traffic lights while the DSG is thinking about how to get off the line. God forbid you need to cross a few lanes of traffic in a hurry from standstill... It is nice on a twisty road though/once you get moving, and that 2 litre turbo is just incredible.
You should take the new commodore for a drive. 9 speed auto with 2.0 litre turbo engine. Good country driving car

HoldenCalaisV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais-V Series 2
Another thing I don't get is why didn't Holden engineer that so the sportswagon could accommodate an sunroof.

An Panoramic sunroof that is featured on the Opel insignia tourer(ZB Commodore) should've been an option on the VF Sportswagon seeing that the wagon is priced higher then the sedan but lacks a few feature's.

Opel-Insignia_Sports_Tourer-2018-1280-01.jpg