Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Paint (Slipstream) Quality

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that their car duco seems to chip very easily? I've never owned a car in 30 years that seems to be a stone and carpark dingnome magnet like this one is. Just the most delicate of touches seems to cause chips. Is it something I can take back to Holden under warranty?

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
To me the paint on the VFs seems a lot thinner than on the VEs. Just another cost cutting measure I guess.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Is it something I can take back to Holden under warranty?

I wouldn't think.
I have a few on mine and for the next car plan to do a wrap or similar to try and protect the obvious bits.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
The paint is f**king pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!
I have just under 8000kms on the car, stone chips everywhere! Front bumper, front guards, bonnet and the front doors!
I put over 60,000kms on my VE and the paint was in better condition when I sold that, compared to my 8000km old VF2. Same type of driving for both vehicles.
Ive got glass coatings on the car as well, yet you just have to look at the car funny and it'll chip. I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of quality Holden put into painting these cars. Mums VF2 redline isn't much better either.

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Are Holden now using the newer style eco friendly water based paints? If so welcome to the new world - this paint is terrible for paint chips as the outer coats just do not seem to bond to the undercoat very well. My last car was a Mazda RX-8 and that had one of the first water based paints - terrible car for paint chips.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
The black paint on my Calais v is very thin, easily scratched. I bumped it with my work compendium, and the zipper lightly touched the paint, big scratch.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Does Opticoat stop chips?

That's what I'd like to know. I assume another layer of stuff on top of the paint would help a bit.

I have paint protection (not Opticoat) on my VE and I've only got about 3 chips in 4+ years.

doug05

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8Z Monaro & VF2 SSV Redline
My VF II Redline is the same, chips way too easy unfortunately, and that is with Ceramic Body Amour applied as well.

I have to say though, my previous VE II was just as bad, I think Holden have been going cheap on the paint for a while...