Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline vs Gen-F2 Clubsport R8 - the verdict...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The biggest thing the Clubsport has over the Redline isn't going to EVER be fitted to a Redline; the LSA.

It's law of diminishing returns thing,
(*) some person on the HSV production-line has to manually get that LSA in there with a really big hammer, whereas down the road at Holden they've got Robbie The Robot quietly & cheaply sliding the LS3's in.
(*) Holden can be making 15c profit per Redline because they sell 18000 of them every week, HSV has to make $15k profit per Clubsport or they're broke 'cos they're only selling 1 every 4 weeks.
(*) due to volumes, LSA's will be costing HSV disproportionately more than LS3's are costing Holden; same with the brakes, the seat padding, the wheels, the suspension parts, and all the etceteras.
(*) 33c on almost every extra dollar you pay for a Clubsport over a Redline goes into King Mal's personal back pocket.

Value-for-money is very hard to judge once you get into moderately exclusive stuff.

I mean HSV buyers don't look too hard at value for money; they just want one. :D

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
LSA is great but for an additional $5k you can get 400kw out of the LS3.
Or you can supercharge it as Rikes did and get much more power than even the GTS, for a fraction of the price.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You can't really compare factory force-fed to an aftermarket setup though.
You can always short-cut something used or aftermarket for less, eg. for the price of the stock C63 mentioned earlier in this thread I can easily build a Volvo 240 which will smash the C63 down the quarter ...

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
I thought there would be strong opinions on this one.
I've pretty much read every review and watched every video on You Tube that can be found for the VFII Redline, the choice I went with. Aside from budget, I also like that it has an atmo engine and looks a bit more subtle than the HSV. Aside from the test drive in the demo car, I actually have no idea what is like to live with. I was really surprised at how compliant the ride was for the grip it gave in a corner.
I ordered mine in February and it arrived at the dealership this afternoon.
I can't wait to pick it up next week.
So while I'm glad the reviewers thought so highly of the redline but even if they bagged it to bits, it's still my choice. My first, and they way things are heading, probably my last V8.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
The biggest thing the Clubsport has over the Redline isn't going to EVER be fitted to a Redline; the LSA.

It's law of diminishing returns thing,
(*) some person on the HSV production-line has to manually get that LSA in there with a really big hammer, whereas down the road at Holden they've got Robbie The Robot quietly & cheaply sliding the LS3's in.
(*) Holden can be making 15c profit per Redline because they sell 18000 of them every week, HSV has to make $15k profit per Clubsport or they're broke 'cos they're only selling 1 every 4 weeks.
(*) due to volumes, LSA's will be costing HSV disproportionately more than LS3's are costing Holden; same with the brakes, the seat padding, the wheels, the suspension parts, and all the etceteras.
(*) 33c on almost every extra dollar you pay for a Clubsport over a Redline goes into King Mal's personal back pocket.

Value-for-money is very hard to judge once you get into moderately exclusive stuff.

I mean HSV buyers don't look too hard at value for money; they just want one. :D

HSV is a division of Holden.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
................ it ran rings around the only other big sedans here – the Falcon XR6 Sprint and HSV's ClubSport LSA, which costs $25000 more"

having driven both (Redline and LSA.. not the Ford)... I call that simply a line of BS

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Personally I loved the Clubsport LSA and thought it drove better than the Redline, but I can't justify the extra cost. When I get my MY17 Redline I'm going to get the 385kw pack from C&A Auto after a few thousand k's. Might even try and get HSV seats, those were a big difference for me, really way better than the Redline. $5k for the mods plus $3k for the seats still money to spare.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
having driven both (Redline and LSA.. not the Ford)... I call that simply a line of BS

They don't have a vested interest or a bias towards the outcome...I'll take their word for it.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
HSV is a division of Holden.

That's a negative ghost rider. HSV and Holden work fairly closely together but the same business entity they ain't.