Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh 3.3 Just Dies

W

wreck

recently i've had my VH 3.3 , just die on me, as I am driving along. had fuel pump replaced..total service..went ok for awhile and now is just dying without notice.
Car goes heavy coasts then dash lights come on. NO way will it start again till its sits for awhile. almost as if whatever, is the problem, has to cool down.

Been told it now might be the 'module' , I believe to be distributor? anyone had this problem and shine some light on it for me, so i'm not sinking $$$ into the car chasing the problem.
could it be in the ignition ..or is that linked to the module issue?
appreciate any feed back

Wreck

F

finarfin

I think your model uses a standard oil filled coil. If not sorry not familar with Sixes.
If so replace it. I had a similar fault with my VP V8. Almost ended up replacing everything. If you test the coil when cold it checks out fine, as soon as it gets hot, it just dies. Check VP forum for my post. Hope this helps

D

daemon686

Hi, i just finished re-bulding my VH 202HC six. Mine has a no coil, but an electronic module next to the distributor. Fairly small in size to the dist. with a couple wires coming out of it. Looks to me that if this heats up and is old then you would definately have a loss of power or stall completely.
Otherwise i would replace the coil; if you have one; cheapest 1st option i would go with.

Regards
Daemon.

G

grover

sounds like the module,it is under the cover on the side of the dizzy.it screws down on top of some white stuff called heatsink.i think that after a while it hardens up to the point where it creates a bit too much resistance through the module and the module gets hot and car stops until module cools down.something like that,some of the auto spark boys may have a better explanation.easy to replace,not cheap though,around $90,comes with fresh heatsink.

G

Grantis1976

Mate, just take it to a auto sparky, especialy if your not spending big. They can find the fault, show u the problem, then give you the option to fix it urself, and save afew bucks!
Godd Luck!!!