Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIN Decode Please

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
A VIN number is registered to a name (check you Certificate of Rego). A quick look at that would sort out who owns it. Not to mention if they check the car, every VIN number is stamped by a robot into a solid peice of chassis that is not replacable (ie the firewall), if you've managed to scratch that off, weld a plate over it and restamp it in such precision that it could not be noticed, then I raise my glass to you.

A VIN number is not really impossible to steal, but it is impossible to duplicate it onto another vehicle, nor is it of any use to anyone. It merely ID's the vehicle for rego purposes and for parts n stuff.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So what happens now if some Retard wants to go a Police station and cause you a world of head aches by reporting that VIN as STOLEN?

At the very least, you will be arrested next time you are done for a Randon RBT! Now you have publicly advertised your VIN, you leave yourself open to abuse!

Everyone else, please do not advertise your VIN on a public web site! There is nothing stopping Retards from reporting your VIN as stolen, annonymously, then you might loose your house, your kids, etc

I'm thinking it's like the Credit Reporting system, no liability - but able to get you arrested.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

a quick check by the police would see he owns the car?? dont think he'll get arrested...or lose his house and kids

edit: also the vin is displayed on the windshield, so anyone can walk up and see it..

Jacesv

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS HSV CLUBSPORT
where is the chassis number stamped on a VS commodore???

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
VS never had the VIN stamped into the actual body like the later models did (VT~VF) in the floor pan under the drivers side carpet.

VS only had the ally plate visible at the bottom of the LHS windscreen reveal window and also on a tag revetted to the body prior to paint shop underneath the LH headlight. Also the VIN appears on the compliance plate that's attached to the firewall.