Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 202 to 253

blackbird252l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VL
Hey all, I'm thinking of putting a 253 in my VK to replace the 202 my question is what would i need to change/buy to get it fitted and parts, would i need a different tranny? i got a Trimatic 3 speed auto in it, Thanks

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
it will be hard to get on the road since the 253 didnt come out with the vk and its an older engine, 202 trimatics are different sizes and bell housing wouldn't match but i think you can get an adapting plate for it but it would be easier to get a v8 trimatic, i dont think there is much to change, basically a pretty strait forward swap, just change things like p/s pump, a/c lines/bracket etc... but i you want it on the road you will need rear disk brakes, V8 brake booster "if there is a differance from 6 cyl booster" and i think you will need p/s

anybody correct me if im wrong

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
y dont u go injected 8 strocker to 355 :) then where talking real mens cars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
253's in VK have been done before, you will have to run VK-VL pollution gear and if you are converting from a 6cyl just buy a complete V8 VH-VK-VL is will be easier in the end. going to a 253 will not really make your VK any quicker but it will sound good.
my VH was a 6 and was converted to a V8 and i kept the drum rears it wasn't a problem rego time, even kept the single diaphram booster.
i had a 1969 model red 253 in mine with no pollution gear and it passed emissions testing fine, since replaced it with a blue 253 with full pollution gear due to the red 253 giving up on me.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I just did that to my VH.I had a vh doner car. You need fuel sender unit, return line. if going dual exhaust the right bracket,Disc brake diff set up, V8 tailshaft, V8 gearbox mount, V8 radiator, if you have power steering the power steer lines,Disc brake master cylinder.I used my 6 cylinder wiring harness abd plugged in the V8 harness off the motor. You need a V8 trimatic or an M20,M21 box from a v8. It took me 3 weeks to do and had to do lots of replacing sump, manifold etc.6 cyl tailshaft is too short and the V8 tailshaft has a bigger yoke.Also aircon hoses are different.If you have a doner car you can change it over easy. Good luck.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I just did that to my VH.I had a vh doner car. You need fuel sender unit, return line. if going dual exhaust the right bracket,Disc brake diff set up, V8 tailshaft, V8 gearbox mount, V8 radiator, if you have power steering the power steer lines,Disc brake master cylinder.I used my 6 cylinder wiring harness abd plugged in the V8 harness off the motor. You need a V8 trimatic or an M20,M21 box from a v8. It took me 3 weeks to do and had to do lots of replacing sump, manifold etc.6 cyl tailshaft is too short and the V8 tailshaft has a bigger yoke.Also aircon hoses are different.If you have a doner car you can change it over easy. Good luck.