Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 308 and Turbo350

scrubba620

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK SL Commodore 5.0
Hey all, I am new to holdens and finally got my hands on a dream of mine which is a 1984 VK SL. I have since converted to a 308 and a Th350. I am lost after that, the Extractors being Pacemaker said they would fit powersteering and the exhaust shop said it should fit the turbo 350 but I cant for the life of me install them. I am using the Castlemaine rod shop engine and trans mounts. The extractors just don't clear the power steering.

Can any one assist with anything.

Thank you,

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Efi symetrical port or siame port heads.

If vn-vs heads you're up schitt creek due to bulky vb-vk p/steer rack

scrubba620

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK SL Commodore 5.0
Efi symetrical port or siame port heads.

If vn-vs heads you're up schitt creek due to bulky vb-vk p/steer rack
I knew I forgot something. They are standard 308 heads, I wish I had the VN heads but after the comment not sure I want them.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
On the VK I’m sure we kept the VK rack and used the 5700 Paceys to suit the conversion (VN motor)

On recent VP rebuild we did find some clearance issues when using tough mounts and switching to standard mounts sorted that out.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
On the VK I’m sure we kept the VK rack and used the 5700 Paceys to suit the conversion (VN motor)

On recent VP rebuild we did find some clearance issues when using tough mounts and switching to standard mounts sorted that out.
I had the same problem with tough mounts and like you reverted to the standard mounts. I sold mine to someone who was going to put a 308 into a van.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vn heads are fine as long ass using vl to vs k frame ,vn p/steer rack & vl p/steer intermediate.

I've always used factory engine brackets & rubber...rather risk them tearing one up each year with a big motor than using aftermarket mounts that make car feel like it wants to rattle itself loose etc.

Had ph5700 on sle with vn heads....bulky early p/steer rack just touched extractors at idle & when silly at full throttle smashed chatter marks into p/steer rack & try steer car off road.

Went manual rack rather change to later k frame etc

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might just be mongrel of job if you dont drop rack & lift engine to past rack or might need to grind or bash some bits in to fit better...some brands need to fit with eng/trans out of car

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Vn heads are fine as long ass using vl to vs k frame ,vn p/steer rack & vl p/steer intermediate.

I've always used factory engine brackets & rubber...rather risk them tearing one up each year with a big motor than using aftermarket mounts that make car feel like it wants to rattle itself loose etc.

Had ph5700 on sle with vn heads....bulky early p/steer rack just touched extractors at idle & when silly at full throttle smashed chatter marks into p/steer rack & try steer car off road.

Went manual rack rather change to later k frame etc
I don't know what is different but I didn't have to change the k frame. Perhaps it was the extractors. I have no idea what make they are, they have been on the car that long.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
1 3/4 pacies fitted with 10mm barely clearance enough too pass rego inspections but were touching at idle...didn't look like it from top but could see it from underneath when tapped throttle they hit...pipes also had about 5mm clearance to sump where they go around intermediate shaft.

When did pull powersteer rack out could clearly see 20mm scrape marks on pipe & rack as well half melted rubber boot thing on of rack.

Baby or stock motor probably have been ok but 450hp 355 & big stally made it feel solid mounted & car would pull to right wide open throttle....car shook half as much & seemed nicer/quieter with manual rack it was allowed to shake on rubber engine mounts lol