Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Commodore

Magoo01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Commodore.
Gidday. I've just bought a stock VK BERLINA and I'm wanting to put a V8 in it. Is there anywhere I can go to read specifics of what changes I will need to make ? I'm new to building cars but will probably need help getting it done. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
What V8 do you plan on putting in the VK?

Period 5lt, or an LS?

If I was doing it, I'd go with an LS with a 6 speed. For that, I'd buy a donor car to transfer everything over, then use a conversion kit from the rod shop or similar. Just keep in mind that if you go down this path, you're gonna need to engineer it so you can register it. So best bet would be once you know what engine you want, talk to an engineer before you start to do anything.
It'll save you money and headaches later.

Magoo01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Commodore.
The LS and 6 speed. I'm just looking for somewhere I can learn about arse end options , suspension , front brakes. I was hoping someone somewhere had documented the change. This is my first build. Should I throw it in a shop ? If so a good one in SYDNEY ?

Magoo01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Commodore.
What V8 do you plan on putting in the VK?

Period 5lt, or an LS?

If I was doing it, I'd go with an LS with a 6 speed. For that, I'd buy a donor car to transfer everything over, then use a conversion kit from the rod shop or similar. Just keep in mind that if you go down this path, you're gonna need to engineer it so you can register it. So best bet would be once you know what engine you want, talk to an engineer before you start to do anything.
It'll save you money and headaches later.
Thanks. Does a period motor ( 304, 308) need engineering ? I was under some impression that if the car came out with the v8 ( as in the model of car) I wouldn't need engineering. If I go with the LS. because I'm looking at a 6lt it would need engineering.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The 304-308 should be ok. All you would have to do is upgrade to the v8 specs. The LS conversion while a great option will be very expensive even with a donor car. The price of engines alone have gone through the roof so it follows that unless you get lucky a donor car will be expensive as well. Castlemaine do a conversion kit for the fitting of the engine. I had heard of a figure of about $20,000 to do the conversion but that was a long time ago.